Maintenance Supervisor 1
Maintenance Supervisor 1-1701249
At Stony Brook Medicine, our Maintenance Supervisors 1 are responsible for supervising, coordinating, and directing the activities of skilled, semiskilled, and unskilled trades positions engaged in maintenance, repair, rehabilitation, and construction activities.
Duties of a Maintenance Supervisor may include the following but are not limited to:
- The Incumbent shall supervise and plan the work for subordinate maintenance crew of skilled, semiskilled and relatively unskilled employees.
- Shall use the tools of the carpentry trade including hand tools, portable power tools, shop equipment and standard measuring instruments.
- Examines blueprints to determine dimensions, material and labor requirements to accomplish project, and orders materials and supplies.
- As required, prepares rough sketches or plans to scale from verbal or written instructions.
- Assigns staff to each project providing verbal instructions, and blueprints or plans.
- Meets with Supervisors representing the other trades involved in the project to coordinate activities, and schedules work to be performed to insure that work continues on schedule.
- Observes and inspects the project while in progress and when completed to insure the project is completed on schedule and according to plan.
- Inspects work performed by outside contractors to insure conformance with project specifications.
- Keeps written records of work performed, and accounts for labor and materials used.
- Periodically prepares standard written evaluations of the work performance of subordinates.
- Working knowledge of structural/maintenance/carpentry techniques
- Working knowledge of the math of the carpentry trade.
- Working knowledge of the principles of Supervision
- Basic knowledge of the practices and techniques of trades supervised other than carpentry
- Ability to read architectural blueprints and interpret building and furniture plans
- Ability to plan, lay out and complete varied carpentry work
- Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment, and materials of the carpentry trade
- Ability to make standard arithmetic computations to size and locate the various details of the work and to calculate the quantity of material and labor required for it
- Ability to perform the physical tasks required of a carpenter
- Ability to understand and carry out written and verbal instructions
- Ability to train and supervise others
One year of skilled trade experience which will vary based on the assigned responsibilities in the mechanical, electrical, building or other trades subsequent to the completion of an apprenticeship or equivalent training and experience such as that required for a Carpenter.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
This function/position has been designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: Maintenance Supervisor 1
Job Field: Skilled Trades
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Hospital Construction-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 7:00am - 3:30pmHospital Construction-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: May 12, 2017
Posting End Date: May 26, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG14