Research Specialist II
Requisition # 2017-7462
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 5/10/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Princeton University Department of Geosciences seeks to hire a full time Research Specialist for the microbial biogeochemistry laboratory of Professor Xinning Zhang. Interested individuals are invited to submit their curriculum vitae, a cover letter which includes career goals, and contact information for 3 references.
- Assessing and maintaining equipment and performing minor maintenance on the mass spectrometers (IRMS, LC-MS, GC-MS). This includes monitoring equipment performance for unexpected variations and following recommended maintenance schedules for equipment.
- Developing standard operating procedures for lab instrumentation and modifying these procedures as the lab evolves
- Culture collection maintenance, sample processing and analysis. The Research Specialist will be responsible for running samples in the lab. Quality control of all isotope standards and samples will be expected.
- Technique and method development for measurement of low-concentration volatile organic compounds using lab-developed preparatory device coupled to a commercial isotope ratio mass spectrometer.
- Design of experiments including hydrogen production, nitrogen fixation, and assays of cultures and field samples.
- Participation in data analysis, manuscript preparation and publication are expected
- Training of all lab users, such as postdocs, visitors, graduate students and undergraduates.
- General lab maintenance such as ordering consumable supplies and scheduling equipment usage; maintaining lab operations on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
Lab instrumentation includes: Thermo Fisher irmGC/MS system, Isoprime Elementar Vario EA-IRMS, Thermo Trace GC - FID/MS, Agilent 6120 LC-MS, JASCO HPLC, UV-VIS spectrophotometer, Biotek Synergy plate reader, standard molecular biology and cell culture equipment.
A masters or doctoral degree in microbiology, chemistry, geoscience, or a related field is required. Laboratory experience is required, and candidates with IRMS, LC-MS, and GC-MS experience are preferred. This is a one year term position, with the possibility of renewal based on performance and available funding.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
One year term position, with the possibility of renewal based on funding and satisfactory performance.
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.