Director of Finance & Administration
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Director)
Position #616181 - Requisition 09536
The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation has an opening for a full-time, University Staff Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Director) position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations, risk management, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.
Directors are responsible for the ongoing leadership and oversight of a department, including the development of strategies and processes which contribute to the University and/or campus mission and accountability for services provided. Directors are responsible and accountable for the analysis of fiscal and human resources required to achieve department objectives including hiring, compensation, termination, and performance management of subordinate employees. Specifically, the Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) for the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (DPMR) is responsible for management and oversight of the financial administration of the clinical business, research and educational activities conducted within this School of Medicine department.
The University of Colorado Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (DPMR) has 78 faculty with primary appointments on the Anschutz Medical Campus and its affiliates and 55 clinical faculty. The Anschutz Medical Campus is home to the University of Colorado Hospital, Children's Hospital Colorado (CHCO), and a new Veteran's Administration Hospital scheduled to open in 2018 with PM&R and Spinal Cord Injury service lines. In addition, the DPMR has strong and collaborative relationships with Denver Health and Craig Hospital.
The CU DPM&R, one of the longest-standing departments in the country, has experienced strong growth in recent years in all parts of the tripartite mission of clinical care, education and research. In recent years, the faculty has supported 140 grants or research awards, provided the highest quality care in rehabilitation medicine with solid financial growth and offers cross-institutional educational programs, including the highly regarded Physical Therapy Program, CU PM&R Residency Program, and PhD Program in Rehabilitation Sciences. Uniquely, the DPMR is the academic home to the School of Medicine's Physical Therapy Program, which provides a Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT). Recent clinical accomplishments of the Department include participating in the expansion of the Spine Center program, a partnership in the CU Sports Medicine and Performance Center in Boulder and expanded programs at CHCO and UCH.
The DFA position is responsible for the management and oversight of the financial administration of clinical business, research and education activities conducted in the department. The incumbent must be able to foster and maintain very positive relationships and strategic development with Children's Hospital Colorado, UC Health, the VA, Denver Health, Craig Hospital and other organizations that collaborate with the Department and faculty. This position is also responsible for the financial oversight related to all funding that flows through the Department to ensure the financial health and compliance with all applicable policy and procedures. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic planning.
- Analyzing and interpreting of financial information and aiding in the development of business operations plans; forecasting critical milestones and potential obstacles and evaluating alternate courses of action; balancing short-term and long-term strategic objectives to maximize the financial performance of the department.
- Managing all personnel and human resources matters, either directly or through support and consultation to department leadership. In particular, the DFA will be responsible for all DPMR faculty contracts and onboarding.
- Leading the development of Department policies and procedures to govern financial decision-making including budgets, expense management, and capital spending to ensure the achievement of expense management and revenue objectives.
- Financial reporting and analytics.
- Acting as a liaison to CU Medicine, the billing and coding arm of the University of Colorado School of Medicine, to facilitate practice management for professional from interdisciplinary backgrounds (i.e., physicians, psychologists).
- Management of academic staff with the support of faculty leadership in respective programs.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A Bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, healthcare administration, public administration, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible management experience, which includes developing and managing financial analyses and budgets, as well as supervising administrative and support personnel.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Master's degree in Business, Management, Healthcare Administration or other related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience working in a complex Clinical Business environment.
- Five (5) or more years of experience working in an Academic Medical Center that includes Research and Clinical Activities.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally, and in a timely manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills with all stakeholders (faculty, staff, hospital affiliates, department leadership)
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Strong technical skills with advanced analytics, data reporting and Revenue Cycle management.
- Innovative and creative problem solving with a focus on the strategic advancement of the department
- The ability to set strategic priorities and facilitate multiple work streams within the Department.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Mehul Lakhani, Mehul.firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20301 - SOM-Rehabilitation Medicine
Posting Date: May 10, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Estelle Brock
Posting Contact Email: Estelle.Brock@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00616181