Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Nature of Work:
This position entails recovering explanted human hearts from the operating room at the time of heart transplantation, as well as participating in the post-surgical dissection and subsequent physiological characterization of these recovered organs in a muscle bath system for Heart Failure Research.
Once the tissue is brought back to the lab the research involves assessing the biochemical and pharmacologic characteristics of these explanted human hearts utilizing biochemical and molecular measurements.
In addition, the position includes participating in clinical research in the cardiac catheterization laboratory, and entering data generated in these studies. Depending on the workload in the human studies, the position may also require animal (rodent) work, including surgeries and molecular analysis.
The candidate will be expected to diagnose and problem solve as it relates to the research project, and to collaborate with other PRAs performing similar functions, and to interact productively with Sr. PRAs and post-doctoral fellows in the lab.
Example of Work Performed:
The successful candidate for this position will recover explanted human hearts from the operating room at the time of heart transplantation, as well as participate in the post-surgical dissection and subsequent physiological characterization of these recovered organs in a muscle bath system. Also, this PRA will be assessing the biochemical and pharmacologic characteristics of these explanted human hearts utilizing biochemical and molecular measurements.
This PRA will be expected to accompany cardiology investigators to the catheterization laboratory, and to process and organize for storage samples collected in these studies.
Other Qualifications Include, but are not Limited to:
- Attention to detail
- Ability to write scientific reports,
- RB protocol maintenance,
- RT-PCR experiments, and database management.
The job will include 24-hour availability, 6-8 days/month. Animal work will involve surgery, tissue collection and analysis.
- Requirements include a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline (e.g. molecular or cellular biology, molecular pharmacology, biochemistry). Work will be performed primarily at the Anschutz Medical Campus
- Able to commit to a 2 year minimum commitment
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Other qualifications include, but are not limited to: attention to detail, ability to write scientific reports, IRB protocol maintenance, and database management.
- Prior experience with cellular and molecular biology is highly desirable.
- The individual will be required to accurately record and interpret data, perform basic statistical analyses, and be knowledgeable in word processing and spreadsheets.
- Master's degree in an appropriate discipline (e.g. molecular or cellular biology, molecular pharmacology, biochemistry).
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09377
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20169 - SOM-MED-Cardiology
Posting Date: May 10, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Rachel Rosenberg
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00618917