Accounting Technician III (50%)
The purpose of this position is to provide support for three Center Directors and Faculty. These centers include the Center to Advance Research and Teaching in the Social Sciences (CARTSS), the Latin American Studies Center (LASC), and the American Politics Research Lab (APRL). This position is responsible for managing the financial accounts and human resource needs associated with these Centers, as well as providing organization support by scheduling meetings, activities, etc.
CARTSS also continues to input the payroll data from two additional research units (Ethnography & Evaluation Research, and the Peace & Conflict Studies program). The staff time allocations are complex, and this position handles accounts for all funded projects. CARTSS has signature authority on all these grants, prepares and submits all payroll and expenditure requests and changes, tracks sick leave/vacation/etc. for all staff, collects time sheets, and attends to other necessary fiscal oversight responsibilities.
Who we are:
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) at the University of Colorado Boulder is the intellectual core of the university, conducting research, scholarship, creative work and education in more than 60 fields. Our research generates new knowledge, solving some of the world's most critical problems. The college leads nationally in undergraduate and graduate education, bringing world-class research and scholarship to our students, both in and out of the classroom.
The College of Arts and Sciences comprises a vast spectrum of studies in the natural sciences, social sciences, and arts and humanities.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Communicating with Ketchum FSC and 2 CARTSS research units plus LASC and APRL on preparation and submission of all payroll and expenditure requests and changes, tracking sick leave/vacation/etc for all staff, collecting time sheets, and other necessary fiscal oversight responsibilities for unit
- Maintaining, applying knowledge to, interpreting, and enforcing policies concerning all accounts, including transferring funds, checking balances, detecting, discovering any errors or needed adjustments, making salary and funding adjustments to both the human resources side of HCM and the financial side of HCM
- Providing project PI account balances and information on a regular, timely basis
- Providing budget statements for all research projects and CARTSS/LASC/APRL operating funds for Directors
- Recommending cost-effective procedures for Center operations
- Managing and enforcing all paperwork requirements for setting up new speedtypes, temporary student hires, TVs, TVAs etc.
- Supporting CARTSS Faculty and Graduate Student grant allocations, LASC Tinker grant allocations, and APRL research grant allocations by providing publicity, information to potential applicants, preparing applications for distribution to Board, managing scoring process, notifying applicants of decisions, setting up transfers to awardee accounts, tracking progress on projects, posting project descriptions on CARTSS/LASC/APRL website and troubleshooting needs associated with allocation and distribution process in a timely, accurate manner
- Supporting research initiatives and programs of all three units
- Formulate and implement office policies and procedures
- Design internal procedures for managing documentation and maintaining records
- Troubleshooting, maintaining continual flow of office, return calls, emails, voice messages
- Updating and maintaining CARTSS, LASC and APRL websites
- Communicating accurately and effectively in response to CU and community inquiries
- Keeping Director informed on daily schedule/workload
- Responsible for arranging hotels, meals, rooms, transportation, advertising, publicity,
- reimbursements, catering, guest lists etc., for CARTSS and APRL events, including Board meetings and project meetings
- Maintain and update files on all center activities. Regular communication with the Center Directors on priorities and progress
- Recommend and make supply purchases, determine ownership and funding sources complying with University and federal guidelines, monitor revenue and expenditure streams to prepare budget reports
What you should know:
This is a part-time 50% position that typically works 20 per week.
What we can offer:
The anticipated salary for this position is $21,048 (adjusted to reflect annual earnings at 20 hrs./week)
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be active. Be engaged. Be strategic. Be Boulder.
What we require:
Three years of full time equivalent technical accounting experience.
Two years of college, university or non-correspondence business school which included eighteen (18) semester credit hours of accounting can substitute for up to two years of the required experience.
If using an educational substitution, a transcript or proof of degree must be submitted with your application on cu.edu/careers.com.
What you will need:
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Motivated, proactive, and self-starting
- Problem solving skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to follow departmental policies and guidelines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
What we'd like you to have:
- Proficiency with PeopleSoft, HCM or other HR software
- 1+ years of experience working in higher education
- 1+ years of experience working in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, or general budgeting
- Experience organizing events for 25+ people
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
Please apply by May 22, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Click here to view Special Instructions and General Information for Veterans and Classified Staff positions.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09418. PI97811728
Please do not upload references at this time. Special instructions and information for Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10742 - CARTSS
Posting Date: May 9, 2017
Closing Date: May 22, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00653010