University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Hem/Onc/BMT
Position # 0643814 - Requisition # 08420
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Hem/Onc/BMT has an opening for a full-time Instructor. This full time position will focus primarily on inpatient care of infants, children, adolescents and young adults undergoing allogeneic and autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplants for malignancies, hematopoietic failure states, and genetic disorders. You will be expected to integrate your role generally with the multi-disciplinary BMT Team including other experienced BMT advanced practice providers in delivering outstanding inpatient and outpatient care for autologous and allogeneic transplant patients. You will be a member of a research team, with responsibilities for contribution to clinical research. This position will also have "Call" responsibilities and occasional coverage support for inpatient oncology.
Examples of Work Performed:
Job Responsibilities: include but are not limited to:
- Patient history and physical examination, rounds with the inpatient BMT Team (and/or Oncology Team as needed), writing orders for diagnostic tests, medications and nursing care, and documentation in the medical record
- Clinical coverage of the Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT) Service in the inpatient and outpatient setting.
- Clinical coverage of Pediatric BMT and Oncology patients in the in- and outpatient settings on a limited basis on weekend call, for which weekday time off is not provided. Weekend, evening, and holiday "Call" responsibilities will be included in these duties.
- Communicate with all levels of the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders as well as other disciplines to promote use of clinical trials; including identification of eligible study patients, educating patients and families, and obtaining consent for study participation.
- Assist the CCBD Physicians with communication to primary care and other providers outside the CCBD.
- Provide resources and education for patients and their families.
- Perform procedures as needed, including lumbar puncture (+/- intrathecal chemotherapy), bone marrow aspirates, bone marrow biopsies and skin biopsies.
- Additional responsibilities as needed including writing orders, dictating discharge summaries, nursing education and other research projects.
- Participation in quality improvement projects.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- Advance Practice Nursing (NP, PNP) or Physician Assistant (PA).
*New Grads will be reviewed, if they have previous RN experience in BMT and/or Cancer.
- More than 2 years in a Cancer or BMT Setting, preferably in Pediatrics.
- Acute Care Certification is beneficial.
- Experience in a setting where clinical research practices are in place.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work in boAbility to communicate with and provide customer service to patients and family, including providing resources and education.
- Knowledge of best practices in patient safety and quality care.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with staff and faculty within and outside the department and/or hospital.
- Ability to write orders, including diagnostic tests, medications, care instructions, and adding to patients medical record
- Ability to perform procedures including but not limited to: lumbar punctures, bone marrow aspirates, and bone marrow and skin biopsies.
Condition of Employment:
Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex offender background check
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Joanne Hilden at Joanne.Hilden@childrenscolorado.org
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: May 10, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joanne Hilden
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00643814