Graphic Artist II
Graphic DesignerPosition Summary
The College of Communication Arts and Sciences (ComArtSci) at Michigan State University is seeking a creative, dedicated and driven individual to join our team as a Graphic Artist.
MSU ComArtSci is one of the oldest, largest and most respected communication colleges in the world for its communication research and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in a variety of fields including advertising and public relations, journalism, communicative sciences,media, game design and development, health communication and more.
Reporting to the senior communications director, the graphic artist will work in close collaboration with college leadership and communications managers to design for a variety of projects including but not limited to websites, e-mail templates, digital and social media outlets, print needs, environmental graphics and presentations that support the college's overall mission, goals and communications strategies.
The chosen candidate will be part of a collaborative, fun, innovative work environment that encourages the generation of fresh ideas to support and drive the reputation of college brands and shall be comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment managing multiple projects. This position requires the designer to manage at least one student and the ability to lead and delegate in an appropriate and effective way.
The position will also be responsible for aggregating and managing digital assets from faculty and students across the college to use in promotion. Knowledge of photo retouching and designing for the web will also be required.Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Graphic or Advertising Design or Commercial Art; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive experience in printing, typography, photography, electronic prepress, printing processes such as preflighting electronic files, prepress software applications, designing, typesetting and printing artwork, computer graphics and web page design software, the properties and uses of art materials and technical drawing and layout, experience investigating and solving or recommending solutions to technical problems relating to electronic prepress; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in graphic design for print and multi-media; strong skills with Adobe Suite software including InDesign and Photoshop and experience with creating design elements for the web and social media.
- Creative, high-energy individual with exceptional, proven design skills.
- Familiarity with project management tools and processes a plus.
- Knowledge of photo retouching and designing for the web.
- Candidates must be able to interact effectively and professionally with a wide range of people including faculty, administrative and professional staff, and students.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities are essential.
- Intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and an interest in learning new things will be important to success in this position.
- Successful candidates must be highly organized, with a proven ability to balance multiple concurrent priorities and work effectively in a large, complex institutional setting.
- The selected candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills; the ability to work autonomously with sound judgment; excellent organizational and time management skills; strong interpersonal and networking skills; be resourceful.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
- Familiarity with web utilities and product, graphic programs, and desktop applications, and strong understanding of content management.
- Cover Letter
- Three Professional References
Please submit your resume and cover letter along with your portfolio for further consideration. Also, provide name and contact information for three professional references.Work Hours
Hours are mostly standard 8 to 5, but may vary based on college events.Bidding Eligibility Ends 05/16/2017 at 11:55 PM