Adjunct Faculty, Arabic
The Department of Languages & Literatures is an undergraduate department offering nine modern languages, including majors in French, German, Italian, Russian, and French, minors in those languages plus Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, and Latin, as well as electives in Arabic and classical Greek.
The Department of Languages and Literatures seeks qualified individuals to join our adjunct hiring pool for future, part-time teaching assignments in Arabic at the University of Denver. One course is to be staffed already in autumn quarter 2017 (September 11-November 21). Adjunct faculty are compensated at a rate of $4000 per course.
Adjunct Arabic Faculty members teach 4-credit undergraduate courses at the introductory level. The specific courses involved may vary from quarter to quarter and openings to teach these courses develop on a periodic basis, depending on department teaching needs. Some of the Adjunct Faculty's responsibilities include grading and returning assignments and assessments in a timely manner, reporting grades, preparing class materials, holding office hours, providing guidance and support to students, and replying to email communication from students and colleagues.
- Master's degree in Arabic, education or linguistics.
- Proficient fluency in Arabic and English.
- College teaching experience substantiated by letters of recommendations.
- Demonstrated experience or evidence of a commitment to incorporate inclusive teaching methods and/or pedagogies to engage broadly diverse student populations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the concepts, technologies, principles and practices of foreign language instruction.
- Familiar with the integrative approach of teaching Arabic.
- Fluent or very familiar with the Levantine dialect.
To be coordinated with department chair.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about this position, please contact Ingrid Weyher, Assistant to the Chair at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- If available, unedited teaching video clip of an elementary Arabic class (maximum 15 min.), or descriptions of 2-3 activities or projects that reflect your teaching philosophy.
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 5 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
In addition, two letters of recommendation should be sent directly to Ingrid Weyher. Letters of recommendation and video clip can be emailed or mailed to:
University of Denver, Department of Languages and LiteraturesATTN: Ingrid Weyher, Assistant to the Chair2100 East Asbury, Sturm Hall 391FDenver, CO 80208-0931
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.