Web Developer 1
Web Developer 1
Job Number: 74884
PharmGKB.org is a leader in the field of pharmacogenomics and precision medicine. We combine our curators' scientific expertise with our developers' coding expertise to catalog and deliver valuable knowledge to our users and collaborators. Our coders gather data from many sources and deliver knowledge to our users via web applications, REST APIs, and desktop applications.
Applicants are not required to have biological or medical background. The best applicants will have a clear and working understanding of how to build modern web sites and services while working in a small team of other developers. A good candidate will be comfortable working with server-side code like Java and modern web frameworks like React.js.
You will also gain valuable experience by helping to engineer modern web applications from the bottom of the server deployment all the way to the top of presentation styling on our most widely viewed web pages.
- Implement and maintain content management systems, including installation, configuration, theme and plug-in integration, and ongoing support of departmental liaisons using existing platforms and tools.
- Support the development and maintenance of web applications, including building search indexes, integrating web designs, and building small collection websites.
- Monitor and report on website traffic and performance.
- Perform periodic website audits.
- Perform maintenance duties, such as scripting, adding new content to collections, rebuilding indexes, and maintaining templates and supporting pages.
- Update web pages to ensure site accuracy and currency; perform light web design.
- Interface with existing database, using existing data and discovery tools user interfaces, and tools for specific discovery and delivery environments, such as library online catalogs, to access data stored on web services.
- Produce online content, animated gifs, static buttons, and email and landing pages under the direction of senior web developer and content manager.
- Perform development and maintenance programming for web pages and web applications.
- Build small applications.
- Evaluate and support user needs, and recommend solutions within existing platforms; maintain and develop documentation and how-to guides for customers.
- Perform selected website administration duties for existing clients.
- Ensure web server and site technical performance.
- Perform light troubleshooting and first line support.
- Associate degree and two years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Good customer service skills and ability to explain technical features to non-technical customers/clients.
- Familiarity with a range of programming and scripting languages.
- Clear understanding of web standards and usability methods.
- In-depth knowledge of content management systems, such as Drupal, including the ability to perform standard installations and configurations.
- Demonstrated proficiency building applications in a web development framework.
- Understanding of systems integration and various web devices and environments.
- Ability to design and implement web services.
- Familiarity with authentication and access control.
- Knowledge of website delivery best practices.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Strong visual acuity.
Job: Information Technology Services
Location: School of Medicine
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.