NON-CREDIT, NON-TEACHING ASSIGNMENT, Sign Language Interpreter - Center for Access and Accommodatio
Facilitate communication between students who are deaf or hearing impaired, and instructors.
Position Title: NON-CREDIT, NON-TEACHING ASSIGNMENT, Sign Language Interpreter - Center for Access and Accommodations
Duties of Position:
- Interpret classes, meetings, presentations, workshops or other college related functions as assigned by the Manager, Center for Access and Accommodations Assistant/Interpreter Coordinator, either the main campus or open campus sites.
- Meet clients in designated location.
- Accurately render, using the most effective method of communication for the student, what the instructor/presenter and other students are saying.
- Accurately render to the instructor/presenter any communication from the student, including questions, comments, and presentations.
- Be knowledgeable of sign language suitable for college lectures and textbooks, and have the ability to adapt language to cover all course work.
- Be willing to learn, record and update signs for terminology used in a specific area.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
Ability to communicate classroom instruction effectively to hearing impaired students.
High school diploma with knowledge of sign language sufficient to communicate classroom instruction to hearing impaired students.
Experience interpreting college-level material and/or GED material to hearing impaired students.
Certification/Completion of ITP program, completion of state evaluation.
Equipment & Working Conditions:
Will have access to TDD, and PC.
Classroom locations, CILs, etc. as assigned. Flexible hours not to exceed 30 hours per week.
Department: Student Services - SS
Position Type: Part time - PT
Pay Type: Hourly Non-Exempt