Program Specialist 2-Military Services/Outreach
Position type: Full-time Classified, 40 hours per week, overtime eligible permanent position.
Salary: $2,925 - $3,807/month; Range 42
Opens: May 9, 2017
Closes: June 2, 2017
Location: Main Campus; Olympia, WA
South Puget Sound Community College seeks a highly enthusiastic, motivated and qualified individual for the position of Program Specialist 2 in the Military Services Outreach division of Student Services.
The Program Specialist 2 serves as a vital second certifying Veterans education benefit official. This position coordinates program resources and services, acts as military services related liaison and provides consultation to program participants and outside entities regarding the needs of veterans and their dependents. This position also serves as an official representative of the college at JBLM and military related events, cultivating relationships and networks to serve our veterans and their dependents.
A flexible working schedule is required as this position will work 70% on campus and 30% out in the community. Local travel is required to JBLM, Camp Murray and to community related events. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
Certify veterans/dependents educational benefits and provide information and technical assistance regarding Veterans Benefits programs
- Assist military related students with information and access to benefits
- Evaluate student’s service for benefit eligibility.
- Utilize VA online systems to certify student eligibility and benefit certifications.
- Work directly with the VA Program Specialist 2 to ensure timely reporting and receipt of Benefit.
Conduct outreach and serve as the college representative on-campus and at various community events, including at JBLM, American Lake, Camp Murray and other off-site locations (20%)
- Research resources for veterans benefits.
- Provide comprehensive lists/access to information for veterans and their dependents.
- Establish strong relationships with partner service agencies.
- Develop presence and responsive relationship with various veterans serving partners.
- Respond to inquiries, input inquiry card data, and take the lead on coordination of ACAP campus visits & tours.
- Develop print/web materials and social media presence for military population, ensuring content is updated and materials are available to community partners, as needed.
- Create strategic communication plan to improve our contact with and ability to stay connected to veteran/military families.
- Coordinate with the Outreach team to streamline and unify processes for enrollment steps, visits, tours, and appointments.
- Invite community partners to events.
- Assist in planning and running on-campus activities for veterans.
- Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Social Science, Education, Human Resources or related area from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated commitment to high-level customer service.
- Experience working with military related populations; experience working with military related programs and benefit.
- Experience creating and facilitating workshops or presentations about military related benefit programs.
- Ability to communicate and present oneself in a professional manner
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including good
- Ability to work well with others and function as a team member
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks, work under pressure, meet deadlines and accommodate numerous interruptions while performing multiple tasks.
- Advanced knowledge of computers and software applications, specifically MS Office suite (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population of students, faculty, administrators and support staff in accomplishing tasks.
Your application and these questions will be used to evaluate your qualifications. You must complete these questions to be considered for the position. Please answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. You may type or write your answers but they must be clear and legible.
- What interests you in this position and how do you think your prior experiences and interests prepare you for it?
- Please list the Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) in which you have an intermediate to advanced skill level. What other software or database applications have you used?
- Briefly describe an experience you have had in creating or supporting a diverse and inclusive work environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items:
- Completed SPSCC Employment Application
- Letter of formal application that specifically addresses your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in this announcement
- Resume of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications
- Completed Supplemental Questions
Send application materials via one of the delivery methods below- email is preferred:
Fax: (360) 596-5706
Human Resource Office
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia, WA 98512
Applications received by the closing date may be used to fill similar vacancies which may occur over the next six months.