Position type: Exempt
Opens: May 8, 2017
Closes: May 31, 2017
Location: Main Campus; Olympia, WA
South Puget Sound Community College seeks a creative, dynamic, and collaborative individual to fill the position of Educational Planner in the Advising and Counseling department.
The Educational Planner reports directly to the Director of Advising and Counseling and is responsible for assisting enrolled and prospective students in developing meaningful educational goals and providing educational planning assistance. In addition, this position will be responsible for developing programs and services focused on retention and completion of underrepresented students. A flexible working schedule is required as the position may require some evening and weekend work.
- Assist students with the development of individualized educational plans and appropriate course selection.
- Monitor individual student academic performance and consult with faculty and other departments to ensure student success.
- Advise students of requirements for transfer and professional /technical programs, certificates, special programs and other degrees.
- Assist students in linking career and life goals to educational programs and services.
- Develop and deliver workshops and seminars on student success strategies.
- Assist students in clarifying educational, career, and life goals through career exploration.
- Interpret placement test scores and articulate college policies and procedures.
- Conduct student orientation and advising sessions.
- Provide supportive intervention and outreach to students and appropriate referrals to college resources or community agencies for personal counseling or related issues.
- Assist in the development of advising materials, including online advising services and processes that facilitate an efficient and effective advising system.
- Work with various college departments and other institutions to maintain accurate and current curriculum information and interpret their policies as well as degree and transfer requirements.
- Assist in maintaining educational planning materials for college degrees and programs.
- Develop and implement advisor training materials, presentations and workshops; maintain transfer information and transfer advising resources.
- Identify trends and best practices through literature review, research, campus visitations and professional development.
- Serve on college committees and as a resource for faculty, staff and students regarding the needs of veteran and military connected students.
- Master’s degree (completed or in progress) in Advising, Counseling, Education or related area from an accredited college or university.
- Experience working with college eligible students.
- Ability to provide comprehensive and creative educational planning, degree exploration and advising services.
- Experience developing and/or conducting classroom presentations and group advising services.
- Extensive application using the Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and using technology to track student interaction and services.
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to handle a large caseload of students.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, student-centered environment, with multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present in front of groups, work well with others, and function as a team member.
- Commitment to a working environment.
Your responses to the following questions are required as part of your application for this position; not to exceed three (3) pages.
- Please describe your experience and philosophy advising students with the development of educational plans and course selection.
- How do you see this position supporting student learning, success, & completion?
- Briefly describe an experience you have had in creating or supporting a diverse and inclusive work environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following required items:
- Completed SPSCC Employment Application
- Letter of application that specifically addresses your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in this announcement.
- Resume of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
- Responses to the Supplemental Questions.
- Copies of unofficial transcripts.
Send application materials via one of the delivery methods below- email is preferred:
Fax: (360) 596-5706
Human Resource Office
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia, WA 98512