Instructor of Biological Sciences
Essential Functions –
- Teach courses (lecture and laboratory) in Cell/Molecular Biology and Human Anatomy and Physiology. The specific courses assigned are based on the recommendation of the Department Chairperson and the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Teaching assignments may include teaching via alternative delivery systems such as online.
- Plan, implement, and sponsor appropriate activities to supplement instruction.
- Assist in selecting textbooks, developing curricula, completing reports, tracking and entering assessment data.
- Maintain evaluation and attendance records as requested by the department and/or Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Maintain skills in teaching methods and course development as recommended by HutchCC.
- Recruit students to biological sciences courses.
- Participate, as possible, in faculty development activities at the college and within state and regional organizations.
- Serve actively on institutional committees.
- Maintain records and files as requested by the department and/or Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Arrive on time for work, attend work regularly, and successfully complete the responsibilities of the position.
- Comply with HutchCC policies, procedures, and practices.
- May advise prospective and enrolled students in the proper curricula.
- May mentor honors students.
- May sponsor co-curricular activities such as Biology Club.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Department Chairperson or the Vice President of Academic Affairs or as specified in the local Master Agreement.
- Master’s Degree in Biology, Biology Education or a biological field required.
- Evidence of effective biology teaching experience at the collegiate level preferred.
- Ability to incorporate study skills, adult learning theory, and teaching/learning strategies to improve student persistence and retention.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with staff, students, faculty and other HutchCC stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, revise, and update curricula.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, gender and disabilities populations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in a student-centered environment.
- Ability to be attentive to detail, to accurately follow written and oral instructions, and to work independently.
- Excellent organizational skills and willingness to collaborate.
- Experience in student recruitment preferred.
- Physical requirements include excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills. The ability to understand words and respond effectively and appropriately. Visual acuity to view a computer terminal. Light/indoor work environment.
- Mental requirements include the ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions about the position.
- Physical and mental qualifications must be performed with or without a reasonable accommodation.-The qualifications listed are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties.
SALARY and STATUS:
The salary is determined per the 2017-2018 Hiring Salary Schedule in the local HutchCC Master Agreement. This full-time faculty position is nine months annual (based on contract renewal), due process rights eligible, benefit eligible, and exempt. For a copy of the hiring schedule for this position, please see the attached schedule, or you may visit the following address: http://www.hutchcc.edu/hiring-schedule
Submit the HutchCC Administrative/Instructional Application Form to:
Human Resources, Student Union
Hutchinson Community College
1300 North Plum
Hutchinson, KS 67501
TO BE CONSIDERED AS A CANDIDATE, THE APPLICANT MUST HAVE A COMPLETE DOSSIER (resume, official transcripts, letters of reference, and the application form) ON FILE.
The hired candidate will be required to submit official, non-issued to student, transcripts.
HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To view the HutchCC Non-Discrimination Notice, please visit www.hutchcc.edu
HutchCC reserves the right to revise or change job responsibilities as the need occurs. This position announcement does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment; rather, it is a clarification of the responsibilities of the position. This job description may be changed at any time by the HutchCC administration.