IT Technical Associate - IL State Geological Survey (ISGS) (Champaign)
Civil Service Classification Department % Time
(# of months) Work Schedule Salary Range IT Technical Associate IL State Geological Survey (ISGS) 100%
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
To be determined
This position does not require the applicant to be present for an exam. However, you must submit an exam request form to be considered. The University will conduct a credential assessment. Your exam score will be based on the application materials submitted.
The University of Illinois' Illinois seeks applicants to fill an Information Technology Support Associate vacancy at the Illinois State Geological Survey. This position will provide IT support for the Environmental Site Assessments Section (ESA). This position will also work with server and network maintenance at the main office and field offices around the state.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide computer hardware and software support for staff working on ESA and related projects including new system installs, software and hardware installs and upgrades, troubleshooting, application support, printing and user training.
• Perform computer maintenance on project computers on a regular basis.
• Assess and recommend computer hardware, software, and peripheral purchases.
• Make recommendations to improve reliability and usefulness of ESA computer systems and servers.
• Assist in the set-up and maintenance of servers and network storage used by project staff and identify server needs as projects develop including FTP sites, web servers, application servers, and file servers.
• Maintain back-up systems at main office and field offices, and facilitate in recovery of data when needed.
• Work with ISGS, university, and commercial IT personnel as needed to facilitate project IT needs. Work with state and federal agencies and consulting firms to facilitate ESA IT needs.
• Maintain an inventory list of computer equipment and software used by ESA staff including PCs, printers, scanners, monitors, servers, back-up systems, firewalls; include list of software installs, licensing agreements, and version of software for each computer.
• Engage in continuing professional development to stay current and adapt to changes in relevant technologies and to meet changing needs as projects develop.
• Perform other duties related to ESA IT needs.
• Travel occasionally to field offices in northern and southern Illinois to take care of ESA IT needs.
Minimum Qualifications (with Specialty Factor):
Two years of professional IT experience including hardware and software support such as Windows server administration; support for MS Office, various internet browsers, and Adobe products; printer and computer setup; researching, purchasing, and recommending computer hardware and software; and digital asset management; network servers; back-up systems; and work with large volumes of data and large data sets.
• Experience maintaining Windows servers for medium-sized groups and experience with computer hardware and software setup, installs, and maintenance.
• Experience in researching, purchasing, and recommending computer hardware and software, print and scanning equipment, servers, back-up systems, and peripherals.
To View Classification Specifications:
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
An updated application and copies of college transcripts must be submitted by the time you submit the exam request, which will be no later than May 22, 2017, in addition to any other relevant documents, such as a resume, staff development course listing, etc. These documents can be electronically attached to your online application through the "Documents" link on Part 2 of the application. Be sure to select the appropriate document type for ease of retrieval. Documents may also be submitted in one of the following ways: hand deliver or mail to Staff Human Resources, 52 East Gregory Drive, Champaign, IL, 61820; or fax to 217-244-7304.
Applicants and employees must submit an online Civil Service Application and Exam Request form for IT Technical Associate - ISGS (you must submit both) at jobs.illinois.edu by clicking "Apply to Job" on Civil Service Jobs/Application above. If an application was previously submitted, an update is still required, in which case you should follow the instructions for returning applicants. A request to create a civil service application will be processed within three (3) business days (Monday - Friday). Your logon information will be e-mailed to you. When you receive your logon information, you can complete your online Civil Service employment application and exam request form.
Exam Scoring Information:
You will not be required to report in person for this exam. The updated online application and all uploaded, relevant documents, such as a resume, college transcripts, and/or staff development course listings, will be used in the calculation of the exam score. These documents should be uploaded prior to submitting your exam request.
For this Credential Assessment exam, please remember to include all relevant work experience typically including providing fundamental support for applications software, operating systems, and equipment configurations.
To view the status of all your exam requests, pending test dates, scores, and current register positions online, go to jobs.illinois.edu. Log in and click on "Civil Service Activity."
All correspondence to applicants will be sent through e-mail. We suggest you add these e-mail addresses to your e-mail contacts: SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, call us during regular office hours (8:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., Monday through Friday) at 217-333-2137.
We appreciate your interest in University employment.
Campus' commitment to diversity and Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Policy:
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu)
Organization Name: IL State Geological Survey
College Name or Administrative Unit: IL State Geological Survey
Category: Civil Service
Open Date: 05/05/2017
Close Date: 05/22/2017