Communications Director - Energy Education Council, University of Illinois Extension (A1700281)
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
Communications Director - Energy Education Council (EEC) - A1700281
The Communications Director for the Energy Education Council (EEC) serves as a regular, full-time, 12-month academic professional staff member with primary responsibility for the creation and coordination of Energy Education Council public communication and outreach activities. This positions reports to/is administratively responsible to the Director of the Energy Education Council.
One full time position is available.
Location: Energy Education Council Office - 4440 Ash Grove, Suite B, Springfield, IL 62711
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
Specific responsibilities of the Communications Director are as follows:
- Creation and coordination of Energy Education Council public communication and outreach activities, including research, writing and scheduling of news releases and articles, website updates, etc. based on timely and emerging energy issues related to electrical safety, energy efficiency and renewable energy.
- Communication with news media, including correspondence and interviews as needed.
- Concept-to-creation participation in EEC annual safety education campaigns and consumer outreach materials, which include such items as video, print designs, infographics, social media graphics and text, and radio and TV public service announcements.
- Creation and coordination of stakeholder communication including quarterly Council video newsletter, annual report, e-notes and other programmatic publications.
- Assist in Council marketing communications activities.
- Creation of PowerPoint presentations and some public speaking.
- Assist with staff supervision and program management including development of outreach materials, scheduling and customer service.
- Serve as a liaison with Energy Education Council members and other related organizations, as well as working with Council committees and volunteers.
- Perform other related duties that further the mission of Energy Education Council as assigned.
- Comply with all Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assist Unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports as needed.
- Personal transportation required. Moderate travel will be required.
- To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. A valid driver's license is preferred. Some work will be required during evenings and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subjected to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing and pulling movements. More detailed information regarding the functions of this position (including the physical, mental and environmental requirements of the position) may be obtained from Human Resources for the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) by contacting email@example.com.
Administrative Relationship: The Communications Director is administratively responsible to the Director, Energy Education Council.
- Required: B.A. or B.S required in Communication, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or related field from an accredited institution of higher education. Candidates with a Bachelor's degree in progress may be considered for interviews, but degree must be completed by hire date. Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite programs. Experience with desktop publishing software. Experience with marketing, brand and reputation management. Experience with web and social media tools. Experience with audio/video production. Enthusiasm, initiative, self-direction; ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and relationship-building skills. Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills.
- Preferred: Experience with public communication campaigns and association organizations. Proficiency using InDesign, Illustrator & Photoshop.
The position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
Application Procedure: To apply, go to http://go.illinois.edu/A1700281. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter and resume, three writing samples, as well as the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume dates must be in month/year format and employment history, at a minimum, should include all work dating back to the completion of your undergraduate degree. Positions that were less than full-time/100% must be noted as being part-time. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of June 6, 2017.
For further information about the position, please contact Duane Friend at firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical assistance with the online application process, call 217-333-6747 or email email@example.com.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: ACES - Extension
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Communications Director - Energy Education Council, University of Illinois Extension (A1700281)
Open Date: 05/09/2017
Close Date: 06/06/2017
Organization Name: Illinois Electric Council