Director of Finance & Administration
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado South Denver
Director of Finance & Administration
Position #2333 - Requisition 08789
Directors are responsible for the ongoing leadership and oversight of a department, including the Development of strategies and processes which contribute to the University and/or campus mission and accountability for services provided. Directors are responsible and accountable for the analysis of fiscal and human resources required to achieve department objectives including hiring, compensation, termination, and performance management of subordinate employees.
The University of Colorado South Denver is seeking applications for a Director of Finance and Administration. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position supports the financial needs of all constituents at the University of Colorado South Denver. This position serves as the Chief Accountant for University of Colorado South Denver and is responsible for monitoring the financial business operations related to higher education, special events, museum and theater operations, catering, food services, and book store sales. This position ensures the operations are recorded properly in the general ledger, appropriate internal controls are in place with respect its cash operations, and the safeguarding of assets. This position processes the related procurement activity according to University rules and regulations. Financial reports by cost center are analyzed on a regular basis. This is a professional position that requires knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls, and higher education auxiliary operations. This position requires knowledge of financial statements, confidence to learn the CU Finance System and the Student Information System, experience with budget development and management, crisis management, open communication, and a professional approach. This is a full-time position and may require the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends as may be necessary.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Present, maintain an organized, positive, and welcoming environment for all CU Denver South constituents.
- Ensure that applicable CU policies and Administrative Policy Statements are executed consistently and accurately. Ensure proper accounting protocol is met and that auxiliary and non-auxiliary funds are handled appropriately.
- Perform annual evaluations and full supervision of Finance & Administration direct reports.
- Assist in analyzing all of the lines of business in the Business Operations area including cost-benefit analyses, pro-forma, budget proposals, and actuals to budget reports on each category of business.
- Provide quarterly written reports regarding location progress including program, facilities, budget, finance, and development updates.
- Serve as the representative of CU South Denver at meetings and events as designated by the Vice Chancellor for Enterprise Development.
- Coordinate with the CU Denver Office of Development on all gifts and donors.
- Monitor financial business operations related to special events, museum and theater operations, catering, food services, and gift store sales. This positon will review monthly financial reports to ensure revenue, expenses, and approved budgets are recorded in the appropriate cost center.
- Monitor CU South Denver academic and management operations, including tuition revenue, unrestricted budgets, and extended studies revenue. This position will review monthly financial reports to ensure revenue, expenses, and approved budgets are recorded in the appropriate speed types.
- Monitor and report rent revenue from other University of Colorado campuses and System Office, as established under MOU.
- Monthly reconciliation and analysis of the various auxiliary speedtypes (cost centers) to ensure revenue and expenses are aligned with planned auxiliary budgets. Research variances on a timely basis and implement corrective action.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of journal entries based on GAAP and submit to CU Denver's Finance Office with supporting documentation for approval. Ensure decisions about when it is appropriate to process a journal entry subsequent to review of the related auxiliary speedtypes are accurate and justified. Journal entries may be necessary to allocate revenue and or expenses to the appropriate cost center.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of internal controls by cost center. Determine the best methods to achieve proper internal controls.
- Ensure effective auxiliary purchasing liaison using CU Marketplace, the Procurement Card, and other procurement methods as appropriate per University rules. Ensure compliance with the latest procurement rules to ensure the appropriate method was utilized.
- Develop budget and report actuals and prepare the monthly financial management reporting package that will be presented to Vice Chancellor for Enterprise Development. Prepare written variance explanations in comparing budget vs. actual results.
- Work with CU Denver's Finance Office to determine which auxiliary activities are subject to the possible assessment of unrelated business income tax (UBIT). This position must understand the types of activities that may generate UBIT according to IRS regulations.
- Coordinate budget development with the CU Denver Budget Office and financial reporting through the Finance Office.
- Work with the CU Denver Budget Office to prepare the annual salary setting documents for staff at South Denver.
- Oversee all financial, purchasing, and payroll actions for South Denver.
- Effectively supervise staff and coordinate effectively with the Vice Chancellor for Enterprise Development or their designees.
- Ensure that a productive and cooperative working relationship is developed and maintained with the Finance Office, the Bursar, Tuition Projection, Institutional Research, Budget Office, The Wildlife Experience, UCCS, Boulder, CU System, and the fiscal managers for all schools and colleges.
- Constantly facilitate a team environment at South Denver, working to contribute whenever needed along with the Vice Chancellor for Enterprise Development, the Business Operations Director for South Denver, and the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs for South Denver.
- Provides high-level of confidentiality as he/she becomes aware of sensitive personnel issues.
- Recognizes security risks concerning personnel and personal information, remains knowledgeable on how to prevent and handle these situations, and follows established procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor for Enterprise Development.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
A bachelor's degree in accounting or similar field from an accredited institution.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level, including direct responsibility for:
- Budget, accounting and financial management positions, preferably in museum or education settings.
- Supervising directly reporting staff.
- A master's degree or CPA certification is preferred.
- Prior experience at a Higher Education Institution or State of Colorado Agency
- At least 5 years of progressively increasing responsibilities in budget, accounting and financial management positions, preferably in museum or education settings.
- At least 2 years of success in supervising directly reporting staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Auxiliary accounting and procurement expertise.
- Ability to analyze financial data, determine its meaning and how the information relates to the overall auxiliary operations in meeting planned objectives. Excellent analytical skills are essential in order to properly perform various reconciliations and financial analysis.
- Basic understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and government accounting pronouncements related to higher education auxiliary operations.
- Basic understanding of CU policies and Administrative Policy Statements
- Ability to work independently with high ethical standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally.
- Possess strong interpersonal and human relations' skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, and meet deadlines, work under pressure, and organize multiple projects or tasks.
- Supervisory and collaboration skills.
- Excel, Finance system, and reporting expertise required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Meghan Garcia-Ortiz at Meghan.Garcia@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by 4/3/2017. Those who do not apply by 4/3/2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60138 - ADM-VCSD Deputy Controller
Posting Date: Mar 9, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Meghan Garcia-Ortiz
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00002333