Assistant Professor, Research Title Series
The University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center invites applications from outstanding candidates at the level of Assistant Professor or higher. This will be an instrumental position conducting research, research support and education in one or more of the following areas:
• Databases, data management, and data science with a translational or applied emphasis
• Biomedical informatics, addressing user interfaces, data integration, or security and privacy with the development of tangible tools and systems using semantic-based and advanced software engineering methodology
• Cancer informatics, for precision medicine using integrated data resources such as electronic health records, electronic pathology reports, clinical trials, and next generation sequencing
• Data analytics and visualization for structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data (clinical texts, web media, imaging, signal, and sensory data)
Qualified applicants will have a demonstrated track record of research in computational science, biomedical informatics, and/or data science, as well as productivity in research, research support, and an aptitude for mentoring.
The NCI-designated Markey Cancer Center is on the campus of the University of Kentucky, a land-grant institution founded in 1865. Adjacent to downtown Lexington, the University of Kentucky is nestled in the scenic heart of the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky. Recently ranked as one of the safest, most creative, and the brainiest cities in the nation, Lexington is an ideal location to experience the work-life balance that the University strives to provide to its employees.
The review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.
Please include the following additional documents with your application:
1) Current Curriculum Vitae
2) Cover Letter
3) Specific Request 1 - Research Statement
4) Specific Request 2 - Names and contact information for three professional references
The University of Kentucky is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, African Americans, and all minorities.
Assistant Professor, Research Title Series
Assistant Professor, Biomedical Informatics
7H025:CANCER CENTER-CORE SUPPORT
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Required education includes a PhD and/or MD, or equivalent degree
Required Related Experience
- Demonstrated experience in handling, processing and analyzing biomedical data
- Demonstrated skill in computer programming in several languages (especially C/C++, Python, Java, PHP, SQL)
- Demonstrated skill in several database servers (especially MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle)
- Demonstrated skill in data warehousing, database development and optimization
- Demonstrated skill in biomedical informatics
- Demonstrated skill in database and software project management
- Experience in technical staff supervision
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
Required License/ Registration/Certification
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
- PhD in biomedical informatics, computer science or equivalent
- Publication record in peer reviewed journals
- Direct experience with cancer-related research
Open Untill Filled
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * UK HealthCare recognizes the patient as our premier customer and promises to provide excellent customer services to patients, colleagues, co-workers and all others who seek our services. By applying for a position with UK HealthCare, I am indicating my commitment to service excellence and expressing my agreement to consistently recognize that: - Our customer is every person we come into contact with during our workday. - Service is being flexible, courteous and respectful while anticipating and fulfilling the needs of our customers. - Quality is the foundation of everything we do. It is our desire to provide exceptional service to every patient and customer we serve. - Careful, efficient and responsible management of our resources is vital to our success. - We want to attract, develop and retain highly skilled and competent co-workers, which will in turn achieve customer loyalty and promote the growth of UK HealthCare. By submitting my application for employment with UK HealthCare, I acknowledge that I will be held accountable to follow the UK HealthCare Behavioral Expectations if selected for a position with UK HealthCare. Do you agree to abide by the UK HealthCare Standards?
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System?
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- America's Job Exchange.com
- Academic Keys
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- * Do you have a PhD, MD, or other terminal degree, or will obtain this degree by date of hire?
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter
- Specific Request 1
- Specific Request 2