Full-time Faculty in IT and Computer Science (Assistant Professor)
Report to: Chair of ITCS Department
Starting: Fall 2017 or Spring 2018
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2005 and currently offer 4 undergraduate business concentrations in accounting, finance, management, and marketing; and an MBA program. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy, and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young, dynamic university with a student population of above 1000 students. Construction is underway on a new 75 acre international campus.
The Department of IT and Computer Science (ITCS) is seeking two qualified candidates for a full-time faculty position in ITCS. The rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The faculty package includes an attractive tax free salary along with medical and life insurance. This position requires the incumbent to reside in Afghanistan.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Teach a range of undergraduate courses in ITCS (12 credit hours per semester including lectures and labs). In particular we are interested in applicants who can teach courses such as: Computer Systems Hardware and Design, Open-Source Software, GUI Programming, Robotics, IT Thesis, and Mobile Application Development.
- In addition to teaching, full-time faculty are required to provide service to the university in some capacity either by serving on a committee, advising students on academic affairs, or in other ways.
- Responsibilities may also include administrative work
- Although AUAF is primarily a teaching institute, research, and especially the preparation of Afghan business case studies, is highly desirable
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or related fields is required whereas an applicant who will complete his/her PhD in 2017 is encouraged to apply
- Prior teaching experience at the post-secondary level is required
- Experience teaching in international locations and multicultural settings is preferred
- If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree granting school directly to AUAF)
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals are preferred
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The university exists to prepare young Afghans for future leadership positions. Afghanistan has enormous potential for economic development including an estimated $1 trillion or more in minerals and petroleum. Major opportunities exist for candidates to conduct research on economic development issues as well as provide much needed expertise to the private and public sectors.
To apply, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please include ITCS Faculty in the subject line of the email.