Instructor or Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Report to: Chair of Department
Starting: Fall 2017 or Spring 2018
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2005 and currently offer 4 undergraduate business concentrations in accounting, finance, management, and marketing; and an MBA program. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy, and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young, dynamic university with a student population of above 1000 students. Construction is underway on a new 75 acre international campus.
AUAF is seeking a qualified candidate for the Instructor or Assistant Professor of Mathematics position to begin in August 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the intellectual life of the university by engaging in high quality core teaching,
- Conduct assigned undergraduate introductory Mathematics courses, interacting with students in lectures and teaching 12 credit hours per term,
- Actively seeking and pursuing training in teaching technology and practice,
- Develop innovative and attractive courses, shaping and influencing curriculum
- Actively contributing to the review of courses and academic programs in accordance with departmental, faculty senate, and the Provost office strategy,
- Engage in scholarly activities,
- Serve on departmental and/or university committees,
- Serve as academic adviser to students,
- Foster departmental collegiality and fulfilling individual responsibilities as set out by the
Chair, the faculty senate, or the Provost,
- Master degree in Mathematics from an accredited international university is required. PhD degree in Mathematics is preferred.
- At least 4 years of experience of teaching in western higher education.
- Show evidence of excellence in teaching in higher education.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Outstanding writing skills
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The university exists to prepare young Afghans for future leadership positions. Afghanistan has enormous potential for economic development including an estimated $1 trillion or more in minerals and petroleum. Major opportunities exist for candidates to conduct research on economic development issues as well as provide much needed expertise to the private and public sectors.
To apply, please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Instructor or Assistant Professor of Mathematics” in the subject line of the email.