Program Manager, Center for Middle East Studies
The Center for Middle East Studies is an established research center that aims to contribute to research and policy on issues in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. The Program Manager will play a critical role in the operation and functioning of the center. This position will be responsible for overseeing and managing all programming, including speaker series, conferences and workshops as well as other research activities at the Center and will work closely with the Academic Director on grant-writing and budgeting. The Program Manager will also supervise student workers at the Center, and oversee all marketing and communications platforms for the Center, including social media. Finally, the Program Manager will oversee and manage the Centers external relations with donors and the University as well as the larger academic and policy communities. Anticipated start date approximately June 20.
- Programming and Events
- Coordinate logistics of events from start to finish (from first invitation to speaker, travel arrangements, event design, marketing, design and advertising, set up on day of, and managing the speaker while they're in town).
- Organize one large conference or symposium per academic year.
- Organize approximately 30-40 events per academic year.
- Manage and track the budget in all regards.
- Work with the Director to create budget goals and projections, and report progress to Director throughout the year.
- Partnerships manager
- Coordinate and maintain all relationships with partners, both internal and external which currently includes: WorldDenver, American University of Beirut, Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy and internal partnerships.
- Logistical management of incoming gifts and funds, including drafting MOUs and getting approved by Director and Development staff in the Deans Suite.
- Maintain CMES marketing and communications platforms, including Facebook and Youtube, our website, and e-blast communications.
- Create promotional materials such as the annual newsletter, pamphlets, fact sheets, etc.
- Work closely with the Korbel Communication Director and University Communication team.
- Faculty relations
- Maintain relationships and contact with all involved faculty, both on campus and off including visiting scholars, distinguished scholars, affiliate faculty and research affiliates.
- Grant projects
- Deeply involved in the grant seeking/writing process for the CMES.
- Serves as the project administrator on awards we receive.
- Project & program manager
- Oversee the coordination of small projects and workshops, such as the Middle East Dialogues.
- Oversee programs such as student trips to the region.
- Student Outreach
- Maintain communications with student groups, and focuses CMES priorities on reaching and involving Korbel students.
- Advise Middle East Discussion Group.
- Organizational Vision
- Intimately involved in shaping the vision and mission of CMES through the creation of our Strategic Vision, and will be the coordinator on the implementation process of this vision.
- Student Employee Supervisor
- Supervise two work study employees during the academic year.
- Students help with event logistics, social media management, and general office responsibilities.
- Director Support
- Provide support, however needed, to Director.
- Work closely with Deans suite development staff to maintain key donor relationships and events (such as the Majlis roundtable)
- Work to implement an annual giving campaign.
- Increase opportunities for donations throughout the work of the center.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3+ years of experience in an administrative role, or managing an office.
- Experience with event or conference planning.
- M.A. or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Grant writing and management experience.
- Knowledge of foundations.
- Experience with web-development software.
- Experience supervising student workers.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Application review will commence immediately. For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Tuesday, May 23, 2017. The position will remain open until filled.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about this position, please contact Tiffany Wilk at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 references
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.