Help Desk Manager
Title: Help Desk Manager
Department: Desktop Support Services, Academic Technology Services
The Help Desk Manager is responsible for the independent management of all help desk functions including staff supervision and service level agreement monitoring. The Help Desk Manager will work closely with both internal and external customers to define service level targets, present and report compliance to said standards, and insure continuous improvements that will create and maintain a positive and consistent service experience. This role requires a thorough understanding of common technical support and customer service call center challenges including staffing, quality diagnostics, call volume analysis, documentation, etc. This individual will also be responsible for the day to day maintenance and monitoring of the ITSM system (currently BMC FootPrints) and will act to insure its consistent availability and usability. As the lead technical contact at the Tier 1 & 2 support levels this individual must possess solid client/server, Active Directory, and desktop software knowledge and must be able to apply that knowledge to a wide variety of service disruptions in order to insure the proper recording, routing and resolution of incidents.
The Help Desk Manager and Student Technology Services Manager work staggered schedules to provide extended professional Help Desk coverage for the USD community. While the STSM is the primary contact for student-related issues and the student support staff, the Help Desk Manager will have direct responsibility for student staff approximately 20% of the work day. This position receives guidance and direction from the Client Support Services Manager. Performs all duties in close alliance, collaboration and communication with supervisors, moving forward with a single mission and voice. In close association with the Client Support Services Manager, this position manages all facets of technical work of the Help Desk Analysts. Assists Manager of CSS with the selection, training, and evaluation of Analysts. Provides work guidance or orientation for non-routine procedures and complex issues. Manages campus-wide projects and initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Help Desk Management & Coordination
• Help Desk Reporting & Analysis
• ITSM Tool Administration
• Tier 1 & 2 Technical Support
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited higher-education institution and three years relevant experience; additional years of relevant experience may substitute for the education requirement at the rate of one year of experience equals two years of education
• Minimum two years progressive experience installing and supporting all of the following:
• Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, antivirus software, VPN clients
• Minimum one year of supervisory experience managing staff and projects
• Strong troubleshooting skills for Mac and Windows based hardware and software
• Experience configuring, administering and using an enterprise-level ITSM tool
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience in dealing with difficult interpersonal situations regarding support issues.
• A+ Certification
• Must be a team player, possess strong communication skill, and possess a strong customer-centered philosophy.
• Experience as a Help Desk Manager in a higher education setting.
• Experience implementing an enterprise-level ITSM tool using ITIL best practices.
• ITIL Foundations Certification.
• N+, MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional).
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Demonstrated expertise and proficiency in diagnosing complex problems with computer hardware and software with ability to apply solutions to the problems and articulate complex technological information to a diverse user clientele with varying levels of technical sophistication.
• Experience in dealing with anti-virus, anti-spam, wireless communication, mobile devices, and security in the information technology field.
• Proficiency in training and supervising employees
• A strong team player, works effectively under pressure, and ability to multi-task.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills (verbal, written and listening) since he or she will have daily interaction with faculty, administrators, and staff.
• Exceptional documentation skills.
• Exercise proper judgment taking care of client computers or sensitive data; and consult with supervisor.
• Utilize effective time management skills and sets and adhere to deadlines.
• Commitment to quality, client-oriented service
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Excellent organization skills; ability to meet deadlines.
• Attends to details and is precise in work habits
• Reliable and punctual
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment
• Adaptable and a quick learner
• Ability to set up printers and printer queues.
• A working knowledge of network shares
• A basic knowledge of standard applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, e-mail, web browsers and antivirus software).
• Ability to lift 50 pounds (monitors, printers, scanners, etc.) with or without reasonable accommodations.
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Vacation opportunities may be limited August through September and during semester finals.
• May be required to work variable hours and overtime, including weekends.
• Must be available to respond to escalations during evenings, weekends and holidays.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus.For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
To complete our online application: http://www.sandiego.edu/hr/faculty. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org