Dean of Online Learning
Oakton Community College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence and learning, invites applications for Dean of Online Learning
A premier comprehensive community college, Oakton is 17 miles from downtown Chicago. Oakton serves the near northern suburbs of Chicago with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie with buildings totaling over 700,000 square feet of space resting on 192 acres. These campuses serve almost 10,000 students annually that are enrolled in over 82,000 credit hours of instruction. This position will be based out of the Des Plaines campus. The College's Operating Funds' budget (Education and Operations & Maintenance Funds) for the academic year ending on June 30, 2017 amounts to $69.3 million. The College has undertaken a five year, $68.5 million Master Plan which included the construction and recent opening of the 93,000 square foot Margaret Burke Lee Science and Health Careers building on the Des Plaines campus.
The College is known for its academic innovations, commitment to serving students, solid financial position, and supportive environment for both students and employees. Oakton seeks a Dean of Online Learning who is an innovative leader and who will continue a strong tradition of excellence.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have demonstrated a commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Basic Function and Responsibilities:
The primary purpose of this position is to advance the goals and objectives of online learning at the Oakton Community College, and provide leadership in developing and implementing the online learning strategy for the college to include the strengthening of existing programs and the development of cutting-edge new programs that enhance equity and promote student success.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic direction for online learning. Align the direction and vision of online learning with the college's strategic plan.
- Collaborate with faculty and other deans to set and implement goals and metrics for online learning.
- Develop and enhance external partnerships to grow and sustain key online learning program initiatives.
- Oversee instructional design activities and quality improvement of related processes, including the evaluation of online instruction.
- Keep current of national trends in online and blended learning.
- Provide oversight and keep university leaders and others aware of updates related to ICCB, the Higher Learning Commission, and other relevant regulatory organizations.
- Build and strengthen relationships with key units across the college, including all academic divisions, information technology, as well as student affairs.
- Represent and provide leadership for Online Learning on college and community committees and task forces, and serve on leadership bodies such as Council of Deans.
- Provide consultative advice and expertise on the assessment of online learning.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Master's degree with demonstrated excellence in higher education leadership and management experience is required. Completed terminal degree is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated quality online teaching experience is required.
- Experience in budget management, planning, and assessment required.
- A minimum of three years of progressive leadership in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in leading collaborative projects is required. Experience leading projects that include collaborations with deans and faculty is highly preferred.
The salary range for the 2016-17 fiscal year is: Minimum annual salary: $101,154. Salary midpoint: $134,136. Placement in the salary range is based on educational qualifications, related experience, and internal equity.
The full consideration deadline is June 6, 2017.
It is anticipated that screening interviews will be conducted by the search committee from June 19-30, 2017. Upon the conclusion of the initial round of screening interviews, the search committee will likely recommend 3 finalists to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Finalists will participate in a second round of on campus interviews. It is anticipated the finalist interviews will be conducted from July 10-21, 2017.
Appointment to an administrator position is contingent upon approval by the College's Board of Trustees. It is anticipated that the appointment will be taken for approval to the Board of Trustees at the August 15, 2017 Board meeting.
To become an applicant, interested individuals must complete the online application linked from the posting found on the Oakton website. Electronic copies of a cover letter, resume/cv, list of three (3) references with contact information, two letters of recommendation and transcripts must be submitted by the applicant via uploading to the Oakton employment website. Please indicate the position code (DOL-17) on the cover letter. Uploaded documents need to be under 2 MB in size and in either .doc, .txt, or .pdf format. A total of 8 separate documents may be uploaded to an application file that has been successfully submitted to the College.
An unofficial copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application by the applicant. Official transcripts for all degrees earned are required prior to appointment.
Recommendation letters may either be original documents with signature or e-mailed from the reference to email@example.com. Official transcripts or a placement/credential file should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts or placement/credential files sent by postal mail should be sent to:
Oakton Community College
Dean of Curriculum and Instruction (Position Code DOL-17)
c/o Human Resources
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Please contact Matthew Robitaille, Employment Specialist at 847.635.1868 or email@example.com if you encounter any difficulties with electronic submission of these documents.
The full consideration deadline for this search is June 6, 2017. The deadline for submitting documents required for an applicant file is also June 6, 2017. The posting will be removed from the Oakton website at 10:59 EDT on June 6, 2017. Once posted positions are removed from the website, no additional applications will be accepted.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity employer.