Director - Communications (OHR)
Georgia Tech Human Resources serves the Institute and its more than 14,000 employees through strategic human resources counsel, leadership in employee engagement and learning, and facilitation of campus-wide organizational effectiveness. The unit orients and prepares new members of the Georgia Tech community for a successful career at the Institute, while supporting employees and managers in addressing complex workplace issues.
What we do:
- Onboard new employees.
- Process payroll and maintain employment data for approximately 14,000 active faculty, staff, and students.
- Administer, manage, and grow a variety of employee benefit plans.
- Support Georgia Tech’s international faculty, staff, and student employees through advice and counsel on immigration and taxation.
- Maintain a market-driven compensation structure in order to attract and retain employees.
- Advise employees and managers regarding work performance and conflict management.
- Provide professional development and learning to the Institute’s diverse workforce.
Job Purpose: Design, implement and manage a communications strategy and programs for a college, school, or department. Serve as a unit representative within the Institute and with external entities regarding communications issues. Responsible for setting employee and/or group goals, deciding on organizational structure to meet the goals, assessing employee and/or group performance and providing feedback, and making pay recommendations.
- Design, implement and manage all communications-related activities for unit to include development of strategic communications plan; liaison with internal and external media and other departments/units at GT.
- Create, maintain website and other electronic media to inform and promote and enhance the visibility of the unit.
- Oversee updates of public relations written materials, announcements, and other related communications documents.
- Provide marketing, promotional and recruitment assistance to unit management in articulating desired message for targeted audience.
- Supervise unit communications activities such as research, project planning and, metrics, marketing analytics, branding, and related areas.
- Attend workshops, event related to the college, school, or department.
- Administer unit communications budget.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Six to seven years job related experience
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires skills in writing, editing and copywriting, as well as project and functional management. Working knowledge of production processes related to printed and electronic media is required as is use of office and specialized computer applications.
- Preferred Education: N/A
- Preferred Work Experience: Graphic design experience
- Preferred Certifications: N/A
- Preferred Skills:
- General marketing skills and cross-functional team leadership skills
- Superior skills in persuasive writing and communications
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute a communications plan strategy
- Exemplary time management skills for managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Comfortable writing in a variety of styles for a variety f media
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office applications.
- Working knowledge of Drupal highly desirable
- Proficient with Google Analytics and dashboards
- Working within an email marketing platform (such as MailChimp, ConstantContact, etc.)
- Photography and video skills a plus
Additional Information: N/A
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: unit management and staff, external and internal media contacts, alumni, other campus entities. This position typically will advise and counsel: unit management, external and internal media contacts. This position will supervise: unit communications support staff.