Sr. IT Analyst - System Administrator
Sr. IT Analyst - System Administrator
Vice Dean Res Informtcs
Position: Sr. IT Analyst - System Administrator
The System Administrator will primarily administer the functions and applications in support of Duke School of Medicine's Protected Analytics Computing Environment (PACE). This includes application installation and configuration, creation of system images, evaluate the technical fit of applications and new technologies, gather detailed application requirements, works with key members of Duke Health's IT group (DHTS) as it relates to delivery and maintenance of PACE applications and workspaces, designs and requests appropriate resources, maintains PACE applications in a manner conducive to optimal performance, and will be responsible for providing technical expertise on how PACE will be implemented in the cloud.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Continue the build out of the analytics environment in conjunction with the health system and campus IT groups.
- Provide ongoing day-to-day technical support of PACE.
- Create knowledge-based content or technical expertise for the implementation and support of PACE Workspace and applications.
- Deploy business continuity and disaster recovery strategies and test recovery periodically for application/systems.
- Participate in creation, implementation, execution and periodic updates of System Security, Business Continuity, and Disaster Recovery Plans to be consistent with Duke Health policies and standards regarding security and HIPAA/Part 11 compliance. Coordinate and maintain application test plans during deployment.
- Maintain system logs and conduct periodic reviews in accordance with Duke Health log review standards for application log review and compliance.
- Maintain appropriate application design documentation as well as infrastructure diagrams and hardware inventory.
- Maintain appropriate installation, maintenance, change, troubleshooting, and root cause analysis documentation for portfolio of applications.
- Identify and recommend candidate technologies to improve PACE's infrastructure, architecture, and operations.
- Develop and implement automated at-scale configuration, deployment, and maintenance of research applications utilizing configuration management and infrastructure automation technologies.
- Position requires participation in an after-hours, on-call rotation to service PACE and assist with incident handling.
- Serve as primary contact for application functionality and usage.
- Act as a technical consultant to team members.
Systems Administration and Support:
- Monitor system performance, diagnoses system issues, performs scheduled and emergency maintenance utilizing tools such as Splunk and Nagios.
- Propose and implement system enhancements.
- Evaluate system upgrades and patches, implementing changes per change management policies and procedures.
- Maintain documentation and procedures to ensure adherence to institutional, state and federal policies and regulations.
- Understands system validation and documentation in a regulatory environment.
- Communicates regularly with internal and external customers, to ensure the delivery of high quality systems and application documentation.
- Understands the role of the Office of Research Informatics in the overall corporate strategy and planning, and helps set objectives that are aligned with this role.
- Demonstrates a willingness to accept new or additional responsibility.
- Ability to work in a team in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated individual able to drive projects to completion.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent activities and have a flexible, positive attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to track, organize and prioritize workload.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must have good planning and organizational skills, strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to provide support in a mission critical, 24x7 system environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to mentor less-experienced staff
- Ability to provide reliable time estimates and to handle multiple projects at one time.
Required: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Business, or other related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of technical experience
- Solid knowledge of Openstack
- Advanced knowledge of installations, upgrades and troubleshooting of Windows, Red Hat Linux, and Linux utilities.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, Linux/Unix shells scripts, and SQL.
- Experience participating in system architecture design.
- Experience in version management and change control discipline.
- Experience with version control systems, such as Git/GitHub/GitLab
- Experience with automated configuration management and infrastructure automation tools, such as Chef/Puppet/Ansible.
- Application development, Docker, and security procedures experience a plus.
2426 ANALYST, IT, SR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.