The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics LASP is a world-renowned space science research institute at the University of Colorado at Boulder, with an environment where professionals and students work closely with scientists in designing and building space flight hardware. Due to growth in our programs, LASP is looking to increase the number of skilled staff to assist in the flight assembly process. Join a design team that develops instruments for use on space flight programs.
For this position, we are looking for individuals who are skilled in assembly of precision optical/mechanical/electrical assemblies but also due to the size of the current project we are working on, we also need someone familiar with large scale assemblies approximately 10 feet x 10 feet
- Assembly of large scale complex aerospace structures including the body of a spacecraft.
- Assembly of small scale fastener size 00's to 10's complex aerospace structures, mechanisms, & optomechanical instrumentation for application in vacuum & space-flight environments.
- Coordinate closely with engineering staff, and perform precision assembly work using engineeringdrawings and bills of material.
- Take directions through a combination of both verbal & written fabrication and assembly instructions.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and be skilled with delicate parts assembly.
- A detailed understanding of the methods and processes for fabrication & assembly of mechanical & electrical components and subassemblies, and will be expected to maintain high standards of work quality.
- Five years or more mechanical assembly or prototype machining experience required.
- BS in engineering or equivalent experience in a related technical field.
Due to U.S. Export Control Restrictions, only U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
- Ability to verify mechanical parts dimensions through inspection/understanding of GD&T
- Experience with clean room and ESD requirements
- Machine shop experience including CAD/CAM
- Previous Hands on experience with Aerospace assemblies and requirements
- Proto-type experience
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Curriculum Vitae or Resume 2 - Cover Letter. The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Colorado at Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10060 - Lab Atmos/Space Physics
Posting Date: May 8, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Freya Olson
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00731451