Visiting Teaching Assistant Professor of Chinese
The Department of Languages and Literatures offers undergraduate majors and minors in French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish; minors in Chinese, Japanese, and Hebrew; and electives in Arabic and classical Greek.
The Department of Languages and Literatures at the University of Denver will hire a full-time, non-tenure track, one-year Visiting Teaching Assistant Professor of Chinese. The successful candidate will be offered a 9-month contract with full benefits. Position may be extended for an additional year, contingent on departmental need and funding. Start date: September 1, 2017. Position is open until filled, though applications received after May 31 are not guaranteed consideration. Teaching load is eight classes over three academic quarters, focusing primarily on 1st-year to 3rd-year language courses.
- Course instruction and grading.
- Weekly office hours.
- Basic student advising for the minor and for Study Abroad.
- Participation in meetings of the Chinese section and department.
- Support of co-and extra-curricular activities for students of Chinese.
- Participation in Chinese placement test at the beginning of Fall Quarter.
- MA in Chinese linguistics or closely related field (e.g., East Asian Languages or Teaching Chinese as a Second Language with clear Chinese emphasis) at the time of application.
- Two or more academic years (18 months) of experience in teaching Chinese language to Anglophone students at the college or university level, with proven excellence and effectiveness.
- Native or near-native level command of standard Chinese language (Putonghua) in all its aspects (phonology, lexicon, and idiom, grammar, and particularly standard intonation and pronunciation, etc.) and of English.
- Ph.D. in Chinese linguistics or closely related field at the time of application.
- Experience in designing new courses and in assessment of 1st-year program.
- Proven experience incorporating inclusive excellence teaching methods and/or pedagogies.
To be coordinated with department chair.
Position is open until filled, though applications received after Wednesday, May 22, 2017 are not guaranteed consideration.
Candidates must apply online through dujobs.silkroad.com to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. This position is expected to begin September 1, 2017. If you have questions regarding this position please contact: Ms. Ingrid Weyher at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Letter of Application (Cover Letter)
- One page statement on teaching philosophy
- A link to an unedited sample teaching video (selected candidates won't be invited for campus interview and teaching demonstration, so a teaching video is strongly recommended)
- Evidence of excellence in teaching Chinese language to undergraduate students in the US, for instance: a)recent course evaluations, b)sample syllabus and sample lesson plan
PLEASE NOTE: The online application system is limited to uploading 5 files total. Please combine content (clearly labeled) if necessary to upload all required content.
In addition to the online application, two letters of recommendation and official transcripts should be directly sent , subject: Chinese VTap Search. Address for hard copy material:Chinese VTaP Search Committee, c/o Ms. Ingrid WeyherDepartment of Languages & LiteraturesUniversity of DenverDenver, CO 80208-0931
PLEASE NOTE: For non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents interested in applying and who will need immigration sponsorship for this position, please contact Marcy Cozzens, Manager of Recruiting Services at
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.