Part-Time Temporary Instructor – Computer Science
El Camino College
Part-Time Temporary Instructor – Computer Science
Division: Mathematical Sciences
Close Date: 05/24/2017
Complete job description and application available online at: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_academic
The El Camino Community College District is now accepting applications for anticipated part-time faculty positions for the 2017 fall semester in Computer Science which includes teaching courses in Assembly Language, Data Structures and Algorithm, UNIX, C++, JAVA, Python and Internet Programming as well as new computer languages that might emerge including Swift and Android. Responsibilities include teaching both lecture and computer lab classes.
Faculty job responsibilities include the development/review of curriculum and assessment of learning outcomes to improve teaching and learning in achieving El Camino College's mission of institutional effectiveness, quality educational programs, and vibrant student support services.
• Master's degree in computer science or computer engineering; OR
• Bachelor's degree in either of the above AND Master's degree in information science, computer information systems, information systems, mathematics, or engineering; OR
• The equivalent - Candidates not possessing the required qualification(s) as stated on this announcement must complete the Request For Equivalency Form as part of the application process to explain in detail how their qualifications are equivalent to those above; OR
• Valid California community college instructor credential in appropriate subject issued prior to July 1, 1990 (per California Education Code 87355); AND
• Sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and of individuals with disabilities.
• Experience and interest in teaching Computer Sciences courses at the community college level. Qualifications, experience, and interest in teaching:
• Mathematics (all levels) at the community college level.
• Engineering courses at the community college level.
• Experience in the computer field as a programmer or system analyst.
• Knowledge of instructional strategies for promoting student learning.
• Familiarity with the use of computers and other multimedia technologies in instruction.
• Knowledge in developing industry-based programs.
• Knowledge of designing curriculum that is responsive to the needs of IT professionals.
• Demonstrated experience using student learning outcomes assessment to improve student learning, program review, and curriculum review.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Part-time teaching assignment(s) for the 2017 fall semester, beginning August 26, 2017. A teaching demonstration will be required during the interview process. Offer and acceptance of employment is subject to verification of all information provided on the employment application, credential(s), transcripts, fingerprint results, and tuberculosis examination as required. Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide verification of work authorization in the form of a passport, valid driver's license, or other equivalent identification, and social security card.
Part-time faculty members are compensated on a semester basis according to the number of class hours assigned per semester and on cumulative semesters of instruction for the District. The beginning rate is $81.35 - $103.85 (lecture), $61.66 - $78.69 (lab) per hour depending on education and experience.
A teaching demonstration will be required during the interview process. Offer and acceptance of employment is subject to verification of all information provided on the employment application, credential(s), transcripts, fingerprint results, and tuberculosis examination as required. Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide verification of work authorization in the form of a passport, valid driver's license, or other equivalent identification, and social security card.
Applicants must submit the following documents by the closing date:
1) Online application: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_academic
2) Cover letter describing how applicant meets the qualifications.
3) Resume including educational background, professional experience, and related personal development and accomplishments.
4) Pertinent transcripts (only in pdf format) as stated in the job qualifications. (Unofficial computer-generated academic records/transcripts must include the name of the institution and degrees awarded to be acceptable.) Multiple page transcripts must be loaded as ONE pdf document.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States of America require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. For information on transcript evaluation services, please visit: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf
5) Evidence of a valid community college credential, if applicant holds one.
Please Note: Documents submitted or uploaded for a previous position cannot be reused for other positions. You must submit the required documents for each position you apply for by the closing date. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application. Applications with an incomplete status will not receive consideration. You may check the status of your application online.
If you need assistance you may call 310-660-3593 Ext. 5809 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Due to the large volume of calls received on closing dates, we highly recommend that you do not wait until the last day to apply so that we may assist you with questions or technical matters that may arise. Give yourself sufficient time to complete the profile, which may take 45 minutes or more. Positions close promptly at 3:00 p.m.
Closing Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 3:00 p.m.
El Camino College is an Equal Opportunity Employer The El Camino Community College District provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity or sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.