Research Associate - Molecular, Cellular, and Biomedical Sciences
Conducts academic research in connection with CUNY programs; may assist faculty, staff, and students in conducting research and lead research efforts involving others.
- Develops research plans and proposals and participates in acquiring funding
- Collects, analyzes, and assures validity of data
- Writes progress reports; writes and publishes findings
- Collaborates with internal and external colleagues
- Adheres to standards for safety and hygiene and ethical conduct as defined by the University and relevant outside parties
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Biomedical Sciences at the CUNY School of Medicine at City College seeks to hire a biomedical scientist with experience relevant to investigations of central nervous tissue using neurochemical, immunohistochemical, molecular or cellular approaches. Available immediately, the position involves taking an active role in executing cutting-edge projects in areas of cell signaling, neural epigenetics and molecular biotechnology. These projects are aimed toward discovering and developing medications and diagnostics to help prevent or treat neuropsychiatric disease including neurotrauma, neurodegeneration, drug addiction and major depression. Model systems employed range from cell and organotypic tissue culture to rodent models and human biopsies.
Doctoral Degree in a related field and demonstrated research ability.
- Ph.D., M.D. or similar research doctorate in neuroscience, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, pharmacology, physiology or related discipline required.
Minimum four (4) years' experience designing, performing, and analyzing experiments using at least three of the following techniques:
- Primary and clonal tissue culture;
- Rodent drug administration and behavioral analysis;
- Epigenetic DNA methylation and histone modifications;
- Metabotropic receptor signaling and biochemical enzyme assays;
- Histology and immunochemical analysis;
- Flow cytometry and fluorescence confocal or multiphoton microscopy;
- Drafting of manuscripts and research proposals; and
- Experience in maintaining databases, performing statistical analyses, and supervising lab personnel and students as well as working independently preferred.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID (16657) or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a CV, a statement of scholarly interests, and the names and contact information for three (3) references.
Open until filled, with initial review to begin June 15, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: CUNY School of Medicine
Job Title: Research Associate - Molecular, Cellular, and Biomedical Sciences
Job ID: 16657
Full/Part Time: Full-Time