GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under the direction of a member of the faculty, the Bioinformatician is responsible for the design, development, evaluation and iterative modification of a technical infrastructure to expedite the quantitative evaluation of data resulting from studies that are laboratory based. The position will entail the establishment and maintenance of applicable in-house bioinformatics resources and interaction with individual lab members on customized research projects, as well independent projects that are solely computational. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish general bioinformatics resources for day-to-day use by members of the laboratory.
- In collaboration with a member of the faculty, generate customized programming solutions to improve user interaction with available bioinformatics resources
- Implement and adapt programs for microarray analysis, high-throughput sequencing data analysis, cis regulatory motif identification, and multi-genome protein motif searches.
- Independently develop, implement and maintain custom designed computational solutions relevant for ongoing lab-based projects.
- Independently develop, implement and maintain computational methods for meta-analysis of data generated in the lab as well as publicly available data.
- Independently execute a scientific computational project (e.g. a project that can result in a first author publication)
- Supervise entry level bioinformaticians.
- Local establishment and customization of model organism genomic databases and tools for batch sequence analysis utilizing these resources.
- Interpret and present study results in support of laboratory members.
- Provide tabular and written summaries of approaches and analyses in a form suitable for inclusion in manuscripts or grant applications, as well as media for presentation at scientific meetings
- Develop and implement custom bioinformatics programming solutions in collaboration with lab as necessary
- Coordinate and collaborate with other research computing expertise at the Medical School as necessary
- Participate in conference calls and data management meetings as needed
- Perform other duties as required
- BS in computer science, or equivalent experience
- 2 years of experience in relevant setting
- Co-authorships on peer-reviewed publications are strongly suggested but not required
- Strong background in statistical methodology, software languages and computer systems (Perl, C++, R, MySQL, etc.)
- Experience in writing basic search algorithms and the ability to generate new algorithms and programs for custom data manipulation and analysis
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a wide range of individuals.