GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or Designee, the Research Associate performs a variety of complex research experiments. Major responsibilities includes-
- Maintenance and inventory of lab equipment, chemicals and supplies
Train other laboratory personnel in experimental protocols.
Maintain database of lab protocols.
Compile and analyze data and be responsible for a single research project.
Comply with all safety and infection control standards appropriate to the position.
- Cloning, DNA manipulations and site-directed mutagenesis
Agarose gel electrophoresis
Illumina sequencing preparation and data analyses.
Molecular biology of Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Conducts in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Performs complex laboratory experiments
- Interprets data, forms conclusion, and decides on and plans next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Compiles and analyzes data and performs computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- Assists in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Reviews literature
- Trains new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment
- Complies with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 1 year relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
- Experience working with DNA manipulations and sequencing.