Precision Manufacturing and Machining Technology Instructor
About Greenfield Community College:
Greenfield Community College is located in the beautiful and historic Pioneer Valley of western Massachusetts, between the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains and the fertile farmland of the Connecticut River watershed. GCC is a public community college serving approximately 5,000 credit and credit-free students. Known for the caring and supportive attitude of the faculty and staff, and for the broad support it enjoys from the surrounding community, the college is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. In addition to a strong Liberal Arts focus, the College offers a wide variety of innovative and successful programs including Gender and Women's Studies, Fine Arts, Nursing, Renewable Energy, and Outdoor Leadership, as well as varied learning environments, from traditional classrooms, to distance learning, peer tutoring, one-on-one faculty-student advising, workforce development, and learning communities that cater to specific needs and interests. Close to fifty percent of Greenfield Community College students transfer to four-year colleges, and it is Smith College's largest source of community college transfer students. Much of the College has recently undergone a multi-million dollar renovation that sets the stage for future developments in learning. Greenfield Community College actively encourages and provides opportunities for leadership and professional development.
Department: Advanced Manufacturing Program
Posted: Jan 05, '17
Type: PT No Benefits
Ref_No: UNCLASSIFIED 17-01
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Part-time contracted instructor of evening, adult education courses related to precision manufacturing, machining and programming. Courses available may include: Blueprint Reading, Metrology, Manufacturing Math, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), OSHA 10 hour General Industry, Intro to CNC Turning Operation, Intro to CNC Milling Operation, Basic MasterCAM, and Lean Manufacturing / Continual Improvement. Perform a variety of technical instructional assignments and classroom preparation including conventional machine tool operation, blueprint reading/ engineering drawings, precision measurement tools, set-up, programming, and operation of CNC lathes and mills, and the operation of CAD/CAM systems. This position will also assist in other instructor related duties to support the program and college. Previous teaching or training experience is desired. Strong communication skills and computer proficiency are a must.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Provide technical classroom and lab instruction to all students in the applicable evening programs.
- Practice and maintain all safety requirements in order to ensure student safety and to adhere to all OSHA safety requirements, practices and procedures as required.
- Prepare classrooms, labs and equipment to support the instruction and use of equipment.
- Ensure classrooms, labs and equipment remain in good working order.
- Basic mathematical principles.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Knowledge of related technology such as manufacturing, engineering drawings, quality control, CNC and CAD/CAM technology.
- Maintains tools and equipment and participates in purchasing required parts, equipment, supplies, and tools in order to support the program.
- Conventional machine tool operation, such as mills and lathes.
- CNC set-up, programming, and operation of mills and lathes.
- Act as a subject matter expert for curriculum development.
- Conduct regular evaluation of student's progress.
- Maintain accurate performance and attendance records and submit required reports on or before the deadlines.
- Assist students with study problems and with evaluating their potential for successful achievement in the course or discipline.
- Knowledge and understanding of college policies and procedures.
- Must be familiar with computers and applicable software in order to teach CNC machining and CAD/CAM classes.
- Maintain educational professional, ethical, and legal responsibilities, i.e., FERPA, copyrights, etc.
- Attend marketing & promotional events and graduation ceremonies as available.
- Participate in covering classes as necessary to support absent instructors.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Two years of hands-on experience in the machining industry, dealing specifically with the manufacturing or building of mechanical components.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering blue prints.
- Knowledge of speeds and feeds for machining all types of metals.
- Ability to use micrometers, electronic gauges, calipers and similar tools/equipment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Current experience and proficiency with Mastercam: programming mill and/or lathe as applicable.
- Bachelor's degree in Machining Technology/Manufacturing Engineering or related field preferred or
- Associate of Applied Science degree in Engineering Technology, Machining Technology or related field or work experience or
- Experience teaching or mentoring in a college, technical, or vocational environment.
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position.
SALARY: $25 to $50 per hour /Number of hours vary depending on individual assignment
START DATE: January 23, 2017
These are part-time, non-benefited, non-classified adult education instructor positions. Courses are credit-free and are part of the College's Advanced Manufacturing program. Classes are offered in the evenings only. Classes are offered in the evenings only on a rotating basis year-round.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online on or before January 15, 2017 for openings beginning January 23, 2017, however, review of applications is ongoing as dictated by need. Classes run on a rotating basis year-round.
Create a Greenfield Community College account by clicking on the APPLY NOW tab below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for 3 professional references
See the FAQs for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a Greenfield Community College Employment Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
***Greenfield Community College is proud to value diversity in our community of faculty,staff and students and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
***THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS ACCREDITED BY THE NEW ENGLAND ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES.