Salary: $33,096 - $37,920
Title: Classroom Assistant
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Early Childhood Services
Date Posted: 01/06/2017
Position Information: Under the general supervision of the Early Childhood Services (ECS) Executive Director, Site Supervisor, and the close supervision of the classroom Lead Teacher, the Classroom Assistant will provide assistance to ensure the smooth function of daily routines, implementation of the early care and education programs, and ensure compliance with mandated adult:child ratios. Works as part of the Early Childhood Services teaching team.
UCR's Early Childhood Services, we believe that children learn best in an environment that is safe, nurturing and child centered. Our teachers provide daily experiences that stimulate cognitive, social and emotional growth and development in each individual.
The programs provided by Early Childhood Services have been carefully planned to meet the goals, expectations and policies of the University of California, the California Department of Education-Child Development Division, the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the Center's staff and parents.
The staff is a team made up of Child Development professionals consisting of the Executive Director, lead teachers, teaching assistants, early childhood education interns, a music teacher and clerical personnel. All teachers hold a valid Child Development credential issued by the State of California Commission on Teaching Credentialing, and all are employees of the University of California, Riverside.
**This job posting is for multiple Part-Time Limited positions which cannot exceed 1,000 working hours in a 12-month consecutive period. Hours will vary or rotate based on classroom needs. Negative TB test and background check clearance required prior to appointment start date.**
Minimum Requirements: 1. 6 units of Early Childhood Education.
2. Minimum of 1 year experience working in a licensed child development center.
3. Knowledge of appropriate health and safety standards for toileting, food handling and hand washing.
4. Knowledge of National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Developmentally Appropriate Practices.
5. Knowledge of current philosophies and research in early care and education, Pre-K Guidelines, and Early Literacy.
6. Skill to communicate effectively with children, staff and parents.
7. Skill to maintain confidentiality at all times.
8. Skills to take direction in meeting children's needs, classroom needs and parent needs.
9. Physical ability to lift and carry children up to 30 pounds, frequently and as necessary.
10. Hired applicant must successfully pass a background check prior to appointment start date.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Associate Teacher Permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
2. Ability to perform CPR/First Aid on children who have been injured and may be unable to stand up and/or walk.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #12 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 55th among top public universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview