Customer Service Assistant
Salary: $38,340 - $54,348
Title: Customer Service Assistant
Department: Transportation & Parking Svcs
Date Posted: 01/06/2017
Position Information: The Customer Service Assistant serves as the primary customer service representative for Transportation & Parking Services by greeting customers, answering questions and providing information about parking permits, alternative transportation incentives, parking violation notices and parking rules and regulations at a large university campus. Processes accurate transactions electronically or with cash for products and services; responds to customer questions and complaints in a respectful manner, refers customers to appropriate supervisors when necessary; interprets and explains complex policies and procedures regarding parking permits, parking citations and alternative transportation incentives; researches and confirms customer eligibility for permits or incentives; acts as back-up to the cash room assistant; performs other duties as requested.
Transportation Services is comprised of two departments, Transportation and Parking Services and Fleet Services which supports UCR's mission of research, education, public services and patient care by providing sufficient and well-kept transportation and parking services to faculty, staff, students and visitors:
*Transportation: Reduce single-occupant vehicle trips to campus and carbon emissions from commuter vehicles by providing a well-patronized alternative transportation program.
*Parking: Enable faculty, staff, students, and visitors convenient access to campus by administering a well run fee-based parking program that protects the rights of permit holders and provides emergency and other helpful services to members of the campus community.
*Fleet: Provides a variety of vehicles to the UCR campus community in a cost-effective and customer-service oriented manner with maximum cleanliness, mechanical reliability and optimum availability.
**Applicants selected for an interview will be required to complete a pre-employment assessment as part of the interview and selection process.**
Minimum Requirements: 1. Two (2) years' experience in a busy service oriented office and/or related customer service experience. Previous experience in handling and processing cash and credit transactions, and reconciliation and balancing processes.
2. Demonstrated skills in accurate and quick processing of cash and credit card transactions and balancing processes associated with an automated system. Effective analytical and problem solving skills, including skill in identifying and bringing attention to issues or concerns that require special handling. Strong basic mathematical abilities and keen eye for detail. Skill in fast and accurate data entry.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively and professionally interact with diverse groups using tact and diplomacy; ability to communicate patiently and courteously with difficult individuals. Skill in listening, anticipating, and responding to the needs of customers. Ability to work with the public in a high volume environment and maintain composure in stressful situations. Skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with management, coworkers, and campus departments. Ability to research, apply and explain a variety of rules, policies and procedures.
4. Strong organizational skills to coordinate and prioritize multiple complex duties, paying attention to detail and deadlines when faced with high volume, fluctuating workload and constantly changing priorities. Ability to perform multiple tasks to completion with frequent interruptions in a fast-paced environment.
5. Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access and Outlook) to compile various reports, spreadsheets, business correspondence, and maintaining informational databases.
6. Ability to sit, walk and stand for variable periods; ability to participate in campus and community TAPS/Alternative Transportation events, indoors or outdoors, during varying environmental conditions and weather. Ability to bend, kneel, stoop, lift, carry objects such as boxes of brochures, flyers, pamphlets and other TAPS program materials weighing up to 35 pounds, by hand or with the use of a cart or hand truck. Ability to drive vehicles, such as vans, SUVs, light trucks and electric carts around campus. Ability to use a two-way radio and learn basic radio codes.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Prior work experience in a higher education environment, or experience in public service, traffic/transportation environments.
2. Knowledge of UCR transportation and parking policy and procedures.
3. Employee Transportation Coordinator Certificate (ETC) with previous experience in planning and implementing rideshare and related transportation programs.
4. Knowledge of South Coast Air Quality Management District policies relating to alternative transportation and specifically Rule 2202.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #12 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 55th among top public universities (US News and World Report 2013-2014).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview