8AM - 5PM
$44,200 - $76,500
Under supervision, the Buyer performs purchasing duties according to prescribed policies, procedures and/or defined instructions in a cost effective, ethical, efficient, timely, professional manner within a customer-service oriented environment. Responsible for purchases of common goods and services valued at $25,000 or less in response to campus needs and will perform/assist with orders valued over $25,000 under specific direction. Purchases include a broad spectrum of materials, supplies, equipment and services across many commodity areas. Primary commodity emphasis for this particular position at this time (subject to change) is for business related commodities. May also include: audio-visual equipment/supplies, cellular telephones and services, copiers, furniture, household moves, office equipment/supplies, books & publications, library materials, mail equipment, mailing services, rentals for special events, school supplies. **Hired incumbent will be stationed at the UC Intellicenter, must be able to drive/travel between university settings/locations/venues.**
Ability to read and interpret terms and conditions of basic contracts.
Analytical skills necessary to evaluate the quality and cost effectiveness of purchasing options.
Solid organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work assignments under frequent interruptions and demanding timeframes.
Ability to develop and maintain professional working relationships with various campus personnel and vendors.
Ability to use sound judgement, active listening, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills to effectively resolve or respond to questions, concerns, issues or problems.
Ability to develop, enhance and effectively apply negotiation skills in a procurement setting.
Skill in evaluating concepts, trends, problems and determining best method/course of action to take.
Skills to work independently and as part of a team to foster and support an environment where cost containment, environmental sustainability, and effective processes are a priority.
Ability to understand and apply procurement methods, including: forecasting, make or buy, market analysis, price and/or cost analysis, total life cost, and sourcing.
Ability to maintain accurate records and in compliance with established policies and procedures, and retention requirements related to procurement.
Ability to develop spreadsheets, reports and other documentation to support analysis.
Ability to carry out all assignments in an ethical manner, adhering compliance with established policies and procedures, as well as standards and principles of ethical supply management as set forth by the University.
Working level of proficiency in the use of standard spreadsheet and word processing software.
Understands ERP/financial systems (such as Oracle, PeopleSoft, SAP, Banner, etc.).
Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
Some knowledge of the organization's departments and operations required.
Ability to generate presentations and/or facilitate presentations to constituents at various levels of an organization.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview