Senior College Laboratory Technician - Animal Care
Performs supervisory and/or complex technical functions in laboratories in support of coursework.
- Maintains, fabricates, modifies, and repairs equipment
- Determines equipment requirements, prepares purchase specifications and coordinates acquisitions
- Trains and supervises College Laboratory Technicians, College Assistants, and other laboratory staff
- Manages set up, maintenance, and organization of student laboratories
- Maintains safety and hygiene standards
- Documents laboratory activities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Senior College Laboratory Technician
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Under the direction of the department chairperson or his or her designee, the Senior College Laboratory Technician (Animal Care) is responsible for managing animal care in the College's research laboratories for student and faculty use. The Senior College Laboratory Technician trains and supervises students using animals for research, and serves as an expert to the College community regarding animal care.
The Senior College Laboratory Technician (Animal Care) performs the following duties:
- Provide for the care of animals used in the research laboratories for faculty and student use. Provide food and water, maintain clean living spaces (animal cages, racks, glassware), observe health condition and behavior of animals and report injuries, disease or other abnormalities to supervisor and veterinarian for appropriate follow-up, perform animal euthanasia if necessary. Assess conditions and make recommendations to the Chairperson for equipment repair or replacement.
- Train and supervise students and faculty in the safe and humane handling of animals. Serve as a resource to the College community regarding animal care for student and faculty research. Provide general technical assistance as needed, including the collection of biological samples.
- Maintain daily logs of animal husbandry duties.
- Coordinate the College's animal breeding program. Place orders for and receive animals, pair and separate breeders and monitor animal inventories.
- Coordinate acquisition of animal food and supplies. Track and monitor budgets, and prepare and provide invoices to individual project directors.
- Participate in the College's Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC). Follows all related health & safety protocols as detailed by the IACUC. Assist with record-keeping.
- Stay abreast of new developments and industry best practices in animal care. Implement new policies as needed.
High School Diploma with a minimum of eight years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate's degree may be substituted for two years' experience and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years' experience. This position may also require the ability to supervise others.
- Associate's degree or higher in a Veterinary Technology program is highly desirable, including one year of prior experience in either an animal care or research environment.
- Some weekend / holiday work is required.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, and effectively communicate instructions verbally and in writing.
- Attention to detail.
- Must be able to work effectively with students, staff and faculty.
$50,332 - $60,297 Commensurate with education and qualifications
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application online by clicking on "Apply Now" below. In order to be considered, applicants must upload their cover letter (referenced Job ID 16497), resume, and contact information (name, phone number and email address) for three references in rtf, doc or pdf format.
June 3, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Brooklyn College
Job Title: Senior College Laboratory Technician - Animal Care
Job ID: 16497
Full/Part Time: Full-Time