Lab Assistant II
8AM - 5PM
$36,096 - $42,516
Participate in the mass rearing of Shot Ole Borers and their parasitoids, count and identify insect, participate in field trapping experiments.
Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two (2) years of laboratory experience or two (2) years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one (1) year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position. Taxonomic knowledge and ability to identify beetles to the subfamily level with an emphasis on Scolytinae, familiarity with ambrosia beetles. Basic knowledge of statistics, familiarity with sampling procedures and diligent recording of data. Proficiency with MSExcel or other data analysis programs. Demonstrated proficient interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact with post-doctoral researchers, graduate researchers. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to plan logistical needs in advance so that supplies are adequately maintained. Ability to see small insects, to operate safely in narrow corridors, and to crouch when necessary to reach cages on lower shelves. Ability to lift heavy weights (up to 50lbs). Willingness to adapt to a colony maintenance schedule which may require hours in the early morning and on the weekend and holidays.
BA/BS degree in the Life Sciences. A minimum of one year experience in the rearing of insects.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview