Technician, Science Lab
General Statement of Job
To provide complex lab and/or classroom support services related to science disciplines for faculty and students.
Location Rio Grande
Note: subject to location reassignment Hours 40 hours/week as assigned; To start, Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm, subject to re-assignment Salary Technician 4/118 ($31,394.00 - $44,848.00) FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports To Department Chair, Supervisor, or designee Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- Operates, installs, maintains, and troubleshoots physics department lab equipment. Assists students in use of physics lab equipment and facilities.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Hazardous material/waste handling and disposal.
- Laboratory safety practices.
- Knowledge of specialized discipline such as Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Physics, or Environmental Science, depending on the area of assignment.
- Laboratory tests and experiments policies and procedures for science disciplines.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Handling lab materials precisely and accurately.
- Effectively working with a diverse and multicultural student body.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills, including the use of attention to detail and follow-through.
- Understanding and following instructions precisely.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including the use of tact and diplomacy.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
- Use related laboratory software applications.
Required Work Experience
- Two years related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- Experience working in a physics lab as a physics lab assistant
- Bachelor's degree.
- Physics, engineering or engineering technology major
- Depending on area of assignment, may require Hazard Communications Training.
- Work is performed in a variety of settings.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling, and at times subject to stooping, crawling, and climbing.
- May need to lift heavy objects of up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds.
- May be exposed to a variety of temperatures, noise, moving mechanical parts, or chemicals.
- Specific vision abilities may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to focus.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- experience in use and repair of physics lab equipment or physics test bench equipment
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.