On-call Dining Service Trainee
Posting Number: 0001501
Job Title: On-call Dining Service Trainee
Department: Dining Services
Position Status: On-Call
Position Type: Temporary
Months per Year: Other
Work Hours: Nights, Weekends
Work restrictions apply
Start Date (For temporary positions only):
End Date (For temporary positions only):
Position band/level: Temp-Hourly
Tenure Track Status:
Job Summary: SUMMARY
Cleans and fills Dining Services equipment, maintains facility cleanliness. Also, prepares and serve dining areas and other duties as described below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Set up and operation of entire dishroom, including all ware-washing equipment and processes including but not limited to dishmachine, pot washers, scraping stations, accumulator, and all other associated equipment. Notify supervisor of malfunctioning equipment
- Ability to set up, clean, and operate all necessary equipment
- Fill milk urns, ice bins, water coolers and change soda/beverage tanks when needed
- Responsible for sweeping, scrubbing, vacuuming, and mopping floors throughout the facility when needed or as assigned
- Daily cleaning of all equipment and areas as assigned
- Clean exhaust hoods, including filters, when necessary or assigned
- Assist with receiving and storage of all food and non-food items
- Assist with delivery, setup, and staffing of catered events as assigned
- Filter grease daily as assigned
- Assist in bleaching dishes and burnishing silver, washing walls, ceilings and baseboards
- Interact with customers in a courteous and friendly manner
- Perform custodial-type work if assigned within the dining halls and Spa
- Extra duties in cleaning and food preparation may be assigned by a supervisor
- Ability to speak and listen effectively with supervisors, customers, and employees of the College
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service
- Assist with setup, serving, and cleaning of any station as assigned
- Take, prepare, and serve orders for patrons
- Merchandise and ensure correct signage for assigned station
- Greet guests, check ID's and sell guest tickets as assigned; complete sales on POS system as appropriate
- Stock display cases and reach-in refrigerators
- Stock items for sale or service
- Clean and fill beverage machines, beverage stations and insure that appropriate cups, glasses and utensils are available at all times of service
- Responsible for dining room cleanliness and appearance, to include, but not limited to, tables; chairs in an orderly fashion; pick up napkins, papers, and any other large items off floor
- Sort silverware and fill dispensers, maintaining supply of clean dishes at service points, fill salt and pepper shakers, fill napkin dispensers
- Clean refrigerators, freezers, and all equipment used
- Cover, date, and label all food items to be stored
- Assist in food production in any area of Dining Services as assigned
- Assist in special events/catering events as assigned
- Set up infirmary orders and assist in delivery
- Responsible for cleanliness and organization of items stored in buffets/closets and in central receiving
- Take care of washing and drying all laundry and store in proper places when assigned
- Frequently check and record temperatures of food throughout the day in accordance with Dining Services policies and New York State Board of Health Policies
- Clean carts, bleach dishes, trays, glasses, burnish silver, polish silver, and other special event items
- Work within his/her area as assigned by supervisor
- Confer with supervisor as to extra duties in food preparation and cleaning in assigned area
- Scrub chairs, tables, and all equipment weekly
- Interact with customers and employees in a courteous and professional manner
Minimum Qualifications: QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must be enrolled in high school / votec or taking higher education classes
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and procedure manuals.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Must be 16 years or older.
Required Applicant Documents:
Optional Applicant Documents:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Closing Date: 05-31-2017
Quicklink for posting: careers.skidmore.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=57489
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.