Human Resources Assistant - Hourly (College Assistant)
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM) at the City University of New York (CUNY) is responsible for developing the University's human resources guidelines, standards, rules, and regulations. It enforces federal, state, and local employment laws and University mandates, as well as ensures compliance with the Board of Trustees' policies and procedures regarding employment, including affirmative action and equal opportunity employment. OHRM administers employee benefits and professional development programs for University staff and oversees the administration of Civil Service examinations. Central Human Resources Office (COHR) is an integral part of OHRM by providing direct HR services to University Management employees working at various locations across New York City and Albany, NY.
The HR Assistant (College Assistant) performs entry level human resources duties pertaining to onboarding and offboarding of Central Office staff, personnel file maintenance, tracking various action items, and performing accurate data entry, while delivering quality customer service for HR information and assistance to both internal and external constituencies. The ideal candidate will be a progressive team player engaged in the mission of OHRM to serve the CUNY community to the fullest extent.
Other key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with new hire onboarding and benefits orientations.
- Confirms employment eligibility using E-Verify system, monitors the expiration of I-9 documents, and processes and tracks tuition waiver applications and background checks.
- Files, scans, and submits new hire paperwork, benefits enrollments, I-9 documentation, and payroll information to meet mandated deadlines.
- Schedules meetings and/or conferences; upholds unit calendar as needed.
- Reviews and verifies employee time sheets, performs related data entry.
- Assists with other initiatives, projects, and/or event planning.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
- Computer proficiency using administrative, financial, or academic programs, systems, and databases, with interest in learning new softwares and procedures.
- Functional experience utilizing standard Microsoft Office applications.
- Detail-oriented and accurate with strong analytical, evaluative, and research skills.
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills to prioritize work, manage multiple priorities, and meet deadlines in a time-sensitive office.
- Strong work ethic and character with a high degree of personal integrity to work with the utmost discretion, maintain confidentiality and safeguard employee information, and handle documents with sensitivity and discretion.
- Professional poise, courteous demeanor, flexibility, and composure under pressure.
- Customer focused with ability to interact and work cooperatively and collaboratively on a team to help diverse internal and external constituency.
$12-14 per hour at a maximum of 32 hours per week
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and resume online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is: https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psp/cnyepprd/GUEST/HRMS/c/HRSHRAM.HRSCE.GBL? Page=HRSCEJOB_DTL&Action;=A&JobOpeningId;=16735&SiteId;=1&PostingSeq;=1
May 19, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Central Office
Job Title: Human Resources Assistant - Hourly (College Assistant)
Job ID: 16735
Full/Part Time: Part-Time