Art Center Specialist- Godwin-Ternbach Museum
Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice President of External Affairs and Advancement The Art Specialist in the Godwin-Ternbach Museum uphold and maintain the museum's Mission Strategic plan and Collections management policies. He/ She in addition to the CUNY Title Overview, will perform the following duties:
- Creates design concepts and layouts for exhibitions
- Under the guidance of the AVP, the Art Specialist researches, plans, curates, designs and installs all exhibitions within the museum including loan exhibition and off-site exhibitions
- Responsible for exhibition preparation of objects including mounts, glazing, framing, as well as installation of exhibition
- Catalogues and documents museum collection of over 6,000 objects
- Manage the acquisition, attribution, authentication and deaccessioning of collections
- Creates, organizes and maintains all documents pertaining to museum inventory including but not limited to: inventory slips, loans, insurance etc.
- Collaborates with professors, students, and academic interns as it pertains to scheduling to utilize museum collection in course curriculum, lectures, students, and faculty research, including class assignment and independent study
- Assists with the museum's educational programs include educational exhibitions, demonstrations, classes, tours, workshops, docent, student and work-study guide training,
- Coordinates lectures, films, and other public programs at the museum
- Develops fundraising and membership drive initiatives
- Coordinates special fundraising efforts
- Works with the AVP for the publication of materials (e.g. press releases, web presence, catalogues, didactic text etc.) by the museum including writing, proof-reading, and editing
- Works on aspects of the facility management such as temperature and humidity stability
- Supervises staff members such as: college assistants, gallery assistant (volunteers), student aides.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
Master's degree in a related discipline and four years' experience working in curation and installation in museum or gallery settings. Experience working in institutions of higher education; donor cultivation, grant writing, and grant fulfillment, follow-ups, and reporting; experience working with exhibition catalogs, press releases, and social media including writing, proofreading, and editing; experience in acquisitions, attribution, authentication a plus.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Administers the operations of a museum, gallery, or art facility.
- Manages preservation, documentation, and management of a collection (e.g., acquisition, records management, cataloging, storage, security, maintenance and repair)
- Prepares in-house and/or traveling exhibits, including all necessary documentation, installation, and exhibition materials
- Responds to requests for information and/or loan, and all educational materials, researching the collection as needed
- Administers gallery activities, such as maintaining computerized records on equipment, materials, and other inventory; updating web pages, etc.
- Participates in organizing events, promotional efforts, and exhibition marketing
- Supervises daily gallery operations and maintenance of the collection
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting on any website other than CUNYfirst, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number (16699)
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions
Please note that the candidates must upload a cover letter describing related qualifications and experience, resume, and the name and contact information of three (3) professional references as ONE DOCUMENT in any of the following formats: .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
**Please use a simple name for the document that you uploaded, for example: JDoeResume. Documents with long names cannot be parsed by the application system.
July 3, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Queens College
Job Title: Art Center Specialist- Godwin-Ternbach Museum
Job ID: 16699
Full/Part Time: Full-Time