Director of Academic Advisement (York College/CUNY)
Reporting to the Dean of Arts and Sciences, the Director for Academic Advisement is responsible for implementing and directing a college-wide advisement program, designed to advise and support students in fulfilling their academic degree requirements. The Director of Academic Advisement oversees and provides overall leadership, supervision, coordination, budgeting and planning in the Academic Advisement Center and the development, operation and coordination of academic advisement services.
In addition to CUNY Title Overview, other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Oversees a College-wide advisement program, designed to advise and support students in fulfilling their academic degree requirements.
- Directs and supervises the activities of the Academic Advisement Center and its staff to ensure that consistent and reliable information is provided to students, faculty and staff.
- Directs and supervises the activities of the School Academic Advising Liaisons, academic advisors and DegreeWorks unit and the office staff
- Designs, develops and implements training programs for students, faculty and staff.
- Oversees outcomes assessment and creates a strategic plan to further enhance academic advisement services for students.
- Develops a comprehensive assessment plan that will include the implementation of appropriate assessment tools to identify and address student needs.
- Organizes and facilitates ongoing training on use of advising technologies
- Collaborates with other campus offices and departments to provide smooth and coordinated access to academic advisement services in order to enhance student performance and retention
- Ensures print and web academic program materials related to disciplines in the school are up-to-date and accurate
- Assists and provides support to departments to coordinate student advisement appointments
- Oversees the monitoring of student progress, maintenance of student files and records, and documentation of all pertinent information.
- Compiles reports and makes recommendations to the Dean as necessary.
- Manages program budgets and adjusts spending plans and allocations as appropriate.
- Represents York College in regional and national organizations
Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience required.
Masters degree in a related area with at least six years relevant experience is preferred. Additionally, experience with academic departments, student advisement, curriculum issues and knowledge/understanding of student financial aid and registration processes would be highly preferred.
Other Preferred Qualifications include:
- Excellent communication skills
- Good judgment and responsiveness in working with a broad range of student needs and backgrounds.
- Effective interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills.
- Team player with solid interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of the academic environment and advisement best practices.
- Ability to work with students, faculty and staff
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Directs development and operations of academic counseling services.
- Designs, implements and monitors a comprehensive academic advisement model and protocol
- Oversees outcomes assessment and creates strategic plan to further enhance academic advisement services
- Manages an academic advisement center to ensure consistent and reliable information is provided to students
- Cultivates and maintains strategic partnerships; serves as primary liaison to faculty and administrators regarding academic counseling services; and works with academic departments to develop faculty advisement components
- Administers all compliance and data integrity activities of academic counseling in accordance with University standards
- Advises College administration on policy interpretation and execution regarding University academic counseling standards and best practices
- Develops and manages unit budget
- Manages professional and clerical staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advising Director
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application online through this job board as follows:
Go to www.cuny.edu
Select "Apply Now" then create or login to a user account and provide the requested information.
Click on Job Postings on CUNYfirst
Click Search job listings
Click on More search options
Search by Job Opening ID number 16687
Click on the Apply Now button. You will be prompted to log in or to create an account.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must include a cover letter,
CV/resume, and contact information for three references (email and telephone). Please upload these as ONE document in doc, rtf, or pdf format.
Closing Date - June 3, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: York College
Job Title: Director of Academic Advisement (York College/CUNY)
Job ID: 16687
Full/Part Time: Full-Time