IT Assistant , Level 1 (Provisional) - Help Desk
I.T. Assistants perform entry-level professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Assistants work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar based on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving minor technology problems, monitoring activities, and maintaining documentation. They have latitude for independent initiative and judgment, under supervision.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle "Dare To Do More" reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Reporting to the Manager of IT Help Desk, the IT Assistant will provide a broad range of systems support services to the college community. The IT Assistant Technician is primarily responsible for the configuration, maintenance, support and installation of hardware and software. The selected individual must have a track record or providing maintenance of the computer desktop environment by analyzing requirements, resolving problems, installing hardware and software solutions, and supporting the internal IT Help Desk. The IT Assistant Technician will be responsible for administration and internal support of PC's, printers, servers, and related equipment. Tasks include end-user support, license tracking, and performing PC maintenance, upgrades and configurations. The IT Assistant Technician must have the ability of working independently or in a team environment.
Other duties will entail the following:
- Provide help desk support and resolve problems to the end user's satisfaction
- Monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the IT help desk
- Monitor Service Desk for tickets assigned to the queue and process first-in first-out, based on priority
- Modify configurations, utilities, software default settings, etc.
- Utilize and maintain the help desk tracking software
- Document internal procedures and prepares reports
- Assist with on-boarding of new users
- Ensure each workstation has a computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, hard drive, and any additional specialized equipment.
- Install, test and configure new workstations, peripheral equipment and software
- Maintain inventory of all equipment, software and software licenses
- Report issues to the Service Desk for escalation
- Manage PC setup and deployment for new employees using standard hardware, images and software
- Maintain virtual and physical servers used by the Help Desk daily operations. Maintain SCCM (System Center Configuration Management)
- Perform timely maintenance and repairs on workstation hardware.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- A minimum of six months of full-time experience in a computer or technology-related position. Experience that is more than 20 hours per week and less than 35 hours per week may be counted at 50% of the requirement (i.e., two months of part time experience equal to one month full time experience)
- Additional experience and/or education that can be met by ONE of the following: An additional three years and six months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; an Associate's degree plus 18 months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to organize, conceptualize and prioritize goals and exercise independent judgement based on the understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Ability to conduct research for the purpose of problem solving and situation analysis.
- Experience with both, Macintosh and Windows Operating System.
- Experience with popular office and multimedia applications.
New Hire Salary: $45,464
Incumbent Salary: $51,374
This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression effective for the first 24 months only
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
June 3, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: IT Assistant , Level 1 (Provisional) - Help Desk
Job ID: 16584
Full/Part Time: Full-Time