Lab Specialist 3
Working Title: Lab Specialist 3
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Beirne B. Carter Center for Immunology Research
Posting Date: 08-13-2015
The Beirne Carter Center in the University of Virginia's School of Medicine is seeking a Laboratory Specialist 3 to provide scientific and technical support for a laboratory research program. Responsibilities include modifying and developing laboratory procedures; researching literature related to project and procedures; conducting experiments; recording and analyzing results; teaching laboratory techniques; troubleshooting instrument problems; performing preventive maintenance on equipment; and writing segments of reports and manuscripts. May serve as a lead worker by coordinating and distributing the laboratory workload, assisting laboratory personnel with problems, and reviewing experimental results and procedures for accuracy and efficiency. Candidate is also responsible for breeding and genetic analysis of a large mouse colony involving several unique strains.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, or a related science and at least six years of laboratory experience, including two years experience with cell cultures and small animal work. Experience gained as a student may be accepted. A Master's degree in biology, chemistry, or a related science may substitute for experience.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of grant funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to perform column chromatography and protein purification experiments.
2. Ability to conduct tissue cultures and sterile techniques.
3. Ability to analyze data and enter results accurately.
4. Familiarity with mouse behavior and nutritional needs.
5. Knowledge of flow cytometry instrumentation.
6. Knowledge of molecular biological techniques.
7. Ability to perform DNA and protein gel electrophoresis analysis.
8. Knowledge of Immunology.
9. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
10. Ability to work with small animals.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=74739