University Building Official
Working Title: University Building Official
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Office of the Senior Vice President for Operations
Posting Date: 05-05-2017
The University of Virginia seeks applications and nominations for the University Building Official. The University Building Official provides a unique leadership opportunity as the responsible authority for the legal administration and enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC).
Leading the Office of the University Building Official (OUBO), the Building Official manages and coaches a staff of licensed architects and engineers, reviews plans for new construction and renovation projects and performs construction inspections as required by the VUSBC and other Federal, State, and University standards for health, safety, and accessibility to protect the public to the level established by the VUSBC. The person holding this position is responsible and authorized to issue building permits for capital and non-capital construction projects required by the VUSBC to have a building permit and to determine the suitability for occupancy for all projects undertaken at the University of Virginia Academic Division, Medical Center, and College at Wise.
The University Building Official's key priorities will include:
- Define and implement the organizational goals for the Office of the University Building Official through ongoing evaluation of services and delivery, benchmarking, and monitoring and analyzing OUBO performance measures.
- Perform duties as required by VUSBC and the University's Management agreement, provide legal administration and enforcement of the VUSBC codes and standards for construction work on all University building and remote sites.
- Lead a team of design professionals and foster partnerships with UVA leaders and offices and State and Local officials.
- Provide expertise and guidance to University officials regarding complex design and review issues.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, International Building Code, other referenced ICC codes including mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and fire codes, applicable NFPA Standards, and accessibility standards.
- Knowledge of specialized standards related to construction in, and safe operation of, a large medical center including NFPA 101 and Joint Commission requirements.
- Understanding of building design, construction, and building systems in large complex buildings.
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships with University leadership and colleagues, state officials, and construction professionals.
- Skilled at providing effective leadership and supervision to a team of professionals.
- Ability to understand and resolve complex engineering and construction problems and effectively communicate with a highly diverse audience.
- Demonstrated ability to make difficult and timely decisions based on sound engineering judgments, experience, research, and constructability.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=81830