Associate Director, Shared Infrastructure Services
Who we are:
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a dynamic organization, filled with energetic staff and students who aim to serve the campus and contribute to student success while supporting the University's academic, research and service missions. We're located in the heart of the beautiful CU Boulder campus. See what OIT is all about by watching our This is OIT video.
What your key responsibilities will be:
The Associate Director of Shared Infrastructure Services (SIS) leads at team of 5 - 6 full-time direct reports providing public and private cloud infrastructure, operating system and database administration, system backups and storage, and IT service health infrastructure monitoring for the entire CU Boulder campus.
- Oversee daily work within the Operations unit to identify and facilitate request and incident management.
- Set direction, architecture, design, implementation and support of enterprise-level services within SIS; create and implement standard practices across all platforms.
- Ensure availability of shared infrastructure by understanding all layers of the application and infrastructure stack including virtual machines, operating systems, databases, firewalls and applications.
- Estimate, plan, create and monitor budgets.
- Deputy Project Manager for various infrastructure projects.
- Oversee organization of 18 - 20 FTE.
- Develop and implement service definition, strategy, design, transition and operation of all SIS IT services.
- Communicate with both internal OIT and campus clients to understand their requirements so as to design and implement best technology solution while adhering to campus IT security standards.
The Associate Director of SIS also has broad responsibilities in the following areas:
- Leadership and management to SIS, overseeing and organization of 18 - 20 full-time employees and 6 - 8 direct reports.
- Strategic Problem Management, identifying and facilitating request and incident management across entire the Operations division.
- Strategic Relationship Management across campus, ensuring technology needs are met across campus and potential opportunities for new services.
- Financial Management including creation and monitoring of SIS budget of approximately $2.5M; negotiating with other campus organizations that contract with SIS for their support.
What we can offer:
The annual salary range for this position is competitive and market-based and will depend upon relevant background and experience. In addition the University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement (with a 2-for-1 employer match), generous paid time off, tuition benefit and RTD ECO Bus Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
What you should know:
As a member of the senior management team for OIT operations, there is always the possibility that you may be called after hours or on the weekend in the case of a critical emergency.
Be professional. Be collaborative. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science, Information Systems or a closely related field. A combination of education and/or job-related experience as described below may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- 3 years of experience with UNIX, Linux, Windows or database administration in an enterprise environment.
- 3 years of supervision and/or management of multiple employees.
- 2 years of experience with VMWare Server or Hyper-V Server environments.
What you will need:
- Knowledge of enterprise storage systems.
- Knowledge of enterprise-class backup solutions.
- Knowledge of Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure or Google Platforms.
- Solid understanding of higher education IT and unique requirements of departments and schools.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work with colleagues to solve complex problems.
- Strong customer service and relationship skills.
- Understanding of ITIL stages, including service strategy, service design, service transition, service operation and continual service improvement.
- Understanding of networking, DNS and DHCP.
- Understanding of firewall and load balancing technologies.
- Ability to perform root cause analysis.
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience and skill in computer security and system design.
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle.
- Knowledge of DevOps concepts.
- ITILv3 Foundation certification.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by May 22, 2017
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials AS ONE DOCUMENT/PDF to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
Please name your document as follows: First-Last-Resume-CL-09387.
During upload, please indicate the type of document to ensure accurate submission.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10948 - OIT-Administration
Posting Date: May 5, 2017
Closing Date: May 22, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00733117