Deans Project Assistant (Executive Assistant 1)
Title: Dean's Project Assistant (Executive Assistant 1)
Department: College of Arts and Sciences
Job # IRC23660
Serves as the initial resource person for the Administrative Personnel in the Dean's Office, College of Arts and Sciences, College departments, faculty, administrators, staff, students and the general public. Assists the Director of Budget and Special Projects with both the posting and reconciliation of the discretionary and non-discretionary budget in the College. Responsible for all aspects of faculty hiring; from background checks to contracts. Maintains multiple databases to track faculty load and reassigned time awards. Assists Associate and Assistant Deans on special projects such as Transfer Student Advising, data compilation and organization, supports and assists in faculty development. Maintains and tracks FRG grants. Assists the Director of Pre-Health Advising in administrative duties associated with the health sciences Student Evaluation Committee and student file updates. Serves as back up to the office manager in his/her absence in maintaining the overall flow of business in the Dean's office. Answers multi-phones, organizes front desk filing system and distributes office mail and Dean's office forms. Supervision received: under the direct supervision of the Director of Budget and Special Projects. Receives supervision from the Associate Deans. Receives broad policy guidance from Office Manager. Supervision exercised: assists the office manager in the training, support, and supervision of four (4) work study students. Assumes the responsibilities of the Office Manager in his/her absence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
To the Director, Budget and Special Projects:
• Assists with compilation and distribution of Adjunct, Tenure, and Tenure Track Contracts.	.
• Maintain Grants database via Microsoft Access and Cayuse.
• Initiates background checks from Truescreen Inc. for new faculty, students and staff members.
• Processes all tenured, tenure-track, and adjunct salary letters.
• Works with Associate Dean to ensure that course enrollments are met before sending out contracts.
• Ensures that all contracts are posted to the correct POETS.
• Assists with Faculty Load/Adjunct Hiring worksheets and spreadsheets. Maintain correspondence with Department Chairs on faculty loads and Adjunct contracts.
• Assists with Budgets – Balancing and posting discretionary and non-discretionary charges to college budget worksheets, compiling budget appropriations, journal entry requests, expense reports, petty cash vouchers and stipends.
• Reviews Expense Reports and Check Requests for proper documentation prior to submitting to the Director, Budget and Special Projects for approval.
• Keeps Director informed regarding various faculty budget issues that may arise including multiple deadlines.
• Assists in filing, copying, and special projects.
To the Assistant and Associate Deans:
• Assists in scheduling various meetings with students, parents, and Department Chairs, Program Directors, Faculty and staff members.
• Works with catering or local restaurants on menus for workshops.
• Maintains a Recommendation/Dean's Approval log for every semester.
• Assists in the incoming transfer student registration procedure:
• Maintains lists of confirmed students and their assigned advisors
• Notifies students when their transcripts have been evaluated and send information regarding accessing transfer information and registration process.
• Answers questions from students regarding schedules and requirements.
• Other duties as necessary
• Assists in Articulation Agreement updates
• Works on ongoing projects as necessary.
• Maintains Student Correspondence log for every semester.
• Assists in scheduling various meetings for the Associate Deans with Department Chairs, Program Directors, Faculty and staff members, parents and students.
• Assists in updating and maintaining yearly FRG awards and Faculty Development Monies.
• Assists the Associate Dean with special projects that require expertise in database management and writing skills as needed.
• Runs errands as needed on campus. Assists in the hand delivery of confidential intra-campus mailings.
To the Director of Pre-Health Advising:
• Maintains pre-health student files for the Director
• Provides administrative support to the Director of Pre-Health Advising and the Co-Chair of the Health Sciences Student Evaluation Committee during the application cycles for committee letters
To the Dean's Office:
• Responsible for the front office and supervision of student workers in the absence of the Office Manager.
• Serves as front desk back-up as needed.
• Promptly greets walk-in traffic with a welcoming manner; answers questions and/or refers questions to appropriate Dean's office staff member.
• Directs the flow of traffic in a very busy environment.
• Answers multi-phone lines and screens incoming calls; answers general questions and refers other questions to appropriate Dean's office personnel.
• Accepts student, faculty and staff forms; reviews forms for completeness; instructs individual on how to complete forms properly.
• Oversees the distribution of signed Dean's office forms.
• Assists in the management of appointments for the Associate Deans, Assistant Deans, and Pre-Health Advisor; monitors the Dean's office personnel's presence/absence throughout the workday.
• Oversees front desk file system for student pick-up of different forms and mail.
• Oversees distribution of office mail.
• Inputs data from Leave of Absences/Withdrawal/Change of Status information into spreadsheets
• Maintains reception area and physical appearance of front office.
• Possess the ability to maintain strict confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information (i.e., faculty, student, budget, salary etc.).
• Possess a firm understanding of accounting practices and procedures.
• Minimum of AA degree preferred; liberal arts BA degree preferred.
• Four years' experience in general office required and previous experience at an educational institution advantageous. Education may be substituted for up to two years of experience at the rate of two years college = 1 year experience.
• Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office (all applications) and web site maintenance preferred.
• Ability to learn and use Oracle, Adobe InDesign, Contribute, Banner, Xtender, Noetix, Cliqbook, My San Diego Portal, USD My Postings.
• Possess the ability to meet and deal effectively with faculty, staff, students and parents.
• Ability to work effectively and courteously under pressure.
• Possess the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Possess the ability to apply various organizational skills in order to prioritize work load effectively, satisfy deadlines under time pressure situations, and work on multiple concurrent tasks.
• Possess flexibility and versatility in order to contribute to evolving work situations.
• Cooperate as a team member with all offices performing duties essential to the achievement of efficient delivery of education.
• Establish and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues, staff, administrators, students and the general public.
• Possess thorough knowledge of general office practices and procedures and very good business English and proofreading.
• Assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when
making decisions and dealing with diverse personalities and populations.
• Ability to develop and use empathetic listening skills, communicate with clarity and maintain an attitude that conveys respect, assistance, honesty and resourcefulness.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: $18.16-$20.61 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 per week
Closing date: May 12, 2017
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application and be sure to upload your resume for full consideration. In addition to your resume, you are strongly encouraged to upload a cover letter to your application profile for the hiring managers' review.If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com.
Click Here To Apply Now