Library Assistant III
The University of Denver Library brings the history of cultural experience to successive generations, enabling each to gain insight into the human endeavor. The Library is central to discovery and creative interaction among students and faculty. The Library links information and the University community regardless of the location of the information or the individual seeking it.
Reporting to the Evening Supervisor, this position is responsible for processing of Document Delivery requests and works scheduled shifts on-call at the Service Desk assisting and coaching student employees with circulation and other library patron needs. This position is responsible for the library's late evening hours and the work schedule is Sunday through Thursday from 6:15pm 2:15am. On occasion the schedule requires flexibility as this position provides coverage for other staff as needed. Actively participates in library committees and departmental meetings as needed.
- Works on-call at the Service Desk assisting and coaching student employees on Service Desk activities utilizing the Alma system to check-out and check-in library material, collecting and negotiating fines utilizing the credit card machine, answering user questions utilizing the appropriate library resources, and referring patrons to the appropriate department within the library or DU campus as needed.
- Communicates access and borrowing policies to users and resolve patron issues.
- Forwards unresolved concerns to Access Services Librarian as soon as possible and communicates Service Desk concerns and relevant information to Access Services staff and stakeholders within the library.
- Shares responsibility with other Document Delivery staff for monitoring and processing Document Delivery requests in a timely manner.
- Checks all incoming requests for accuracy, completeness, and copyright compliance.
- Checks library holdings for print or electronic copies, using the Interlibrary Loan software system.
- Routes all requests held by the library to the Document Delivery pull slip print queue for remote site retrieval and scanning.
- Maintains the hold shelves, removing expired holds and processing the material which has to be moved to the next patron in the queue.
- Works on daily, monthly and annual computer passes.
- Checks video game consoles when they are returned to the library.
- Works with other night staff and Access Services Librarian to revise process and procedures as necessary.
- Works closely with other Document Delivery and Access Services Staff and reports systems and database problems as appropriate.
- Assists in closing the library when needed and shares responsibility for building safety, including communications and implementation of the library's disaster plan.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work Sunday through Thursday 6:15 pm to 2:15 am on a regular basis.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed.
- Good communication skills to be able to interact well with other staff.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership potential.
- Ability to use technology as part of daily workflow.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous academic library experience.
- Experience with working with the public.
- Knowledge of library computer systems.
Sunday-Thursday, 6:15 p.m. - 2:15 a.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Friday, May 12, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.