Dean of Curriculum and Instruction
Oakton Community College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence and learning, invites applications for Dean of Curriculum and Instruction
A premier comprehensive community college, Oakton is 17 miles from downtown Chicago. Oakton serves the near northern suburbs of Chicago with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie with buildings totaling over 700,000 square feet of space resting on 192 acres. These campuses serve almost 10,000 students annually that are enrolled in over 82,000 credit hours of instruction. This position will be based out of the Des Plaines campus. The College's Operating Funds' budget (Education and Operations & Maintenance Funds) for the academic year ending on June 30, 2017 amounts to $69.3 million. The College has undertaken a five year, $68.5 million Master Plan which included the construction and recent opening of the 93,000 square foot Margaret Burke Lee Science and Health Careers building on the Des Plaines campus.
The College is known for its academic innovations, commitment to serving students, solid financial position, and supportive environment for both students and employees. Oakton seeks a Dean of Curriculum and Instruction who is an innovative leader and who will continue a strong tradition of excellence.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have demonstrated a commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Basic Function and Responsibilities:
Work with faculty, administration, students, appropriate committees, and external agencies to develop, implement and maintain college curriculum information, course schedules and College course catalog. Manage the program review, assessment and institutional responsibilities in state and compliance reporting. Serve as a liaison between the college and ICCB. Collaborate with faculty leaders on assessment to ensure efficient operations and accurate reporting. Responsible for the oversight and direction of professional development, evaluation and continuing eligibility of adjunct faculty and the administrative leadership for assessment across academic disciplines and programs.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership role in the compliance, curriculum and assessment management process by developing and implementing processes and communicating with college community.
- Conduct objective program evaluations following ICCB guidelines. Work with Vice President of Academic Affairs, division deans, and faculty to submit annual program review to ICCB by established deadline.
- Under the supervision of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, serve as a liaison between the college and ICCB, oversee management of curriculum modules to ensure accurate State and Federal reporting and develop new reports, as required.
- Collect and analyze institutional academic data that influence the college's future, trend and long-range academic planning, issues, and policies.
- Oversee the development of the course schedule and college catalog. Ensure that course, curriculum and accreditation information across multiple media (catalog, web, course schedule, fact sheets, etc.) is accurate and in compliance with Illinois Community College Board and Oakton Community College policies and procedures
- Work as a resource to faculty for the course assessment process. Collaborate with faculty to develop timelines, collect data and communicate with administration and faculty regarding course and program outcomes, etc. Work with faculty to ensure a structured way for faculty to share assessment best practices.
- Develop and evaluate the college's annual Assessment Plan.
- Collaborate with faculty to increase understanding of new processes and provide opportunities for open communication related to student evaluation of instruction.
- Develop, monitor, and continuously improve systems for the evaluation of adjunct faculty by department chairs and administrators, in collaboration with the deans. Implement the Continuing Eligibility provision of the Adjunct Faculty Agreement. Responsible for the evaluation of adjunct faculty.
- Develop, monitor, and continuously improve systems for the student evaluation of faculty, in collaboration with the deans.
- Master's degree required, doctorate is preferred.
- Experience working with the Illinois Community College Board
- A minimum of three years of progressive leadership in an academic environment.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Experience with diverse populations and academic programs.
- Strong communications skills (verbal and written)
- Strong technology skills.
Experience teaching in a higher education setting.
The salary range for the 2016-17 fiscal year is: Minimum annual salary: $101,154. Salary midpoint: $134,136. Placement in the salary range is based on educational qualifications, related experience, and internal equity.
The full consideration deadline is June 6, 2017.
It is anticipated that screening interviews will be conducted by the search committee from June 19-30, 2017. Upon the conclusion of the initial round of screening interviews, the search committee will likely recommend 3 finalists to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Finalists will participate in a second round of on campus interviews. It is anticipated the finalist interviews will be conducted from July 10-21, 2017.
Appointment to an administrator position is contingent upon approval by the College's Board of Trustees. It is anticipated that the appointment will be taken for approval to the Board of Trustees at the August 15, 2017 Board meeting.
To become an applicant, interested individuals must complete the online application linked from the posting found on the Oakton website. Electronic copies of a cover letter, resume/cv, list of three (3) references with contact information, two letters of recommendation and transcripts must be submitted by the applicant via uploading to the Oakton employment website. Please indicate the position code (DCL-17) on the cover letter. Uploaded documents need to be under 2 MB in size and in either .doc, .txt, or .pdf format. A total of 8 separate documents may be uploaded to an application file that has been successfully submitted to the College.
An unofficial copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application by the applicant. Official transcripts for all degrees earned are required prior to appointment.
Recommendation letters may either be original documents with signature or e-mailed from the reference to email@example.com. Official transcripts or a placement/credential file should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts or placement/credential files sent by postal mail should be sent to:
Oakton Community College
Dean of Curriculum and Instruction (Position Code DCL-17)
c/o Human Resources
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Please contact Matthew Robitaille, Employment Specialist at 847.635.1868 or email@example.com if you encounter any difficulties with electronic submission of these documents.
The full consideration deadline for this search is June 6, 2017. The deadline for submitting documents required for an applicant file is also June 6, 2017. The posting will be removed from the Oakton website at 10:59 EDT on June 6, 2017. Once posted positions are removed from the website, no additional applications will be accepted.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity employer.