Assistant Director of Housing Operations, Student Affairs
Housing Services at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) seeks to create a residential experience that supports a positive transition to college life, fosters independence and personal growth, and provides students with opportunities for meaningful community engagement. Housing Services has over 4,000 students living on campus in first-year, upper-class, Greek, and graduate housing. Located in the vibrant city of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon offers on campus housing options on the “Hill,” in the “Morewood Corridor,” and in the “Oakland Community.”
We invite applications for an Assistant Director of Housing Operations in the Division of Student Affairs. Serving as an integral member of Housing Services, you will be responsible for the management and oversight of several significant processes within the operations area and reports to the Associate Director for Housing Operations.
- Direct supervision of two full-time professional staff members and some student employees
- Leading front door initiatives including front reception for Housing, access and security, and trainings
- All annual processes including opening, winter break, move-out, and support to the summer operations
- Off-campus housing oversight, admissions-sponsored events, and general oversight of Housing Services makerspaces
- Occasional support of assignments and use of the StarRez system will be required
- This role will require on-call duties related to the position and departmental needs
We are looking for someone who can manage multiple tasks and set priorities based on departmental mission and goals. You should possess strong written and oral communication skills, have a demonstrated ability of working collaboratively with students and other campus members, and demonstrate an understanding of overall services provided by a housing operation. We will look for you to possess several behavioral competencies, including a willingness to work until the task is complete, a bias for action, ethical and inspirational leadership, and the ability to set and achieve program and performance expectations. You will also show well-developed analytical, organization and problem solving skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required; Master's Degree in higher education administration, management, business, or related field.
- 3 to 5 years of related experience preferably within a higher education setting in housing operations; direct experience supervising and managing the areas of responsibility including desk operations, access control, security, summer conferences, graduate students and general housing operations strongly preferred
- Extensive experience working with a wide variety of customers, campus and community partners, and diverse student populations in an academically challenging environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, supervision, coordination of administrative processes, ability to respond to a variety of constituent needs and expectations.
- Strong analytical, financial management and planning, and supervisory skills;