Business Intelligence Analyst
The Library, Information, and Technology Services (LITS) Division at Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing integrated information and technology services and resources that enable students, faculty, and staff to creatively and productively advance the College’s academic, administrative, and co-curricular goals.
Reporting to the Head of Business Intelligence, the Business Intelligence Analyst is a customer-centric position focusing on supporting the proper utilization, rollout, administration, and end-user adoption of reporting and analytical tools. This role is the point of contact for ongoing end-user support and is also a member of smaller project teams in new data product development and rollout.
This position is a member of the Technology Infrastructure and Systems Support group, which focuses on providing the technology base and its accompanying framework for the electronic resources and services that support the college. Operations within the TISS Group include everything from data center management, networking, web support and application development, administrative computing, to business intelligence.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Job Functions:
- End User Support
Responsible for front-line support and administration of enterprise reporting and BI tools. Collaborates with end users across campus to encourage tool adoption including mentoring, training, and development. Trains staff to develop custom reports, dashboards, and proper use of data. Educates staff on new product features, trends, and best-fit technology. Works with Head of Business Intelligence and Administrative Computing to establish and promote BI standards and best practices across the college. Participate in monthly User Group focused on the promotion of analytics.
Operational Support & New Product Rollout
- Front-facing work with business users to field support issues, enhancement requests, & new business requirements. Coordinates software upgrades and maintenance with TISS, CTMS, and business office staff. Coordinate new product rollout including user acceptance testing and implementation to new staff. Promotes BI standards through product review , metadata management and maintenance, and participation in governance discussions. Participates in the development of end-to-end BI solutions.
- Additional Responsibilities:
- Work with LITS committees responsible for communications to prepare and coordinate support materials and communications campaigns.
- Stay informed with the latest subject area developments through attendance in conferences, training, and professional associations. Remain abreast of technology trends and relate findings to business office requirements and long range planning efforts.
- Work collaboratively with TISS and LITS department heads to plan and achieve LITS Division goals and priorities.
- Maintain a professional and tactful approach in all interactions, ensuring confidentiality and an individual’s right to privacy regarding appropriate information.
- FlexContribute to a continuous process of assessment to ensure LITS’s success in advancing the College’s evolving goals in light of pedagogical, information, and technology changes.
- Assist the Head of Business Intelligence and Head of Administrative Computing in identifying, planning, and implementing the best reporting and analytical solutions for Mount Holyoke.
- Maintain a high level of quality customer service standards responding to questions and problems.
- Develop strong working, collaborative partnerships within LITS, with the College community, Five Colleges, and others to proactively identify, recommend, facilitate, and implement appropriate and effective policies, services, resources, support, and procedures that improve the ability of the College community to accomplish its teaching, learning, research, and administrative goals.
- Evening and weekend work as necessary. In some circumstances, it may be important to assist during adverse weather and emergency situations to ensure essential services and service points are covered.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, or equivalent experience required.
- 3-5 years experience with report and dashboard development with tools such as Business Objects, Tableau, Informer, Crystal, Power BI, etc.
Experience providing and delivering end-user support and technology training.
Enthusiastic service orientation with sensitivity to the needs of users at all skill levels; the ability to convey technical information to a non-technical audience is essential.
Experience administering a data reporting/BI system desired.
Ability to gather requirements, write and maintain technical documentation, and establish BI standards.
Experience using administrative and ERP systems in higher education is desirable.
A strong knowledge of standard productivity tools such as: Google Apps and Microsoft Office preferred.
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Excellent oral and written communication, organization, and problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Creativity, with a passion for supporting a collaborative work environment. Commitment to work effectively with a diverse group of faculty, students, administrators, staff, and others.
- Aibility to accept, manage and incorporate change and the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- The physical demands of the position include:
- Visual ability to read computer screens and printed materials
- Hearing and speaking abilities to effectively communicate via the telephone and in person
- Ability to stand, walk, climb stairs, and freely traverse campus
Mount Holyoke is committed to fostering multicultural diversity and awareness in its faculty, staff, and student body. Women and persons of color are especially encouraged to apply. The Mount Holyoke campus has grown increasingly diverse over the past fifteen years. We appreciate the complexities of living and working in a diverse world and strive to find ways to redress inequities. We particularly encourage people who share these commitments to submit their applications.